1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

when residency time comes...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by NMH2001, Nov 26, 2002.

1. NMH2001

NMH2001 Ferret Momma
    10+ Year Member

I know it is possible to go into any residency you want, but if you are attending a school that is focused on primary care how much harder is the road going to be?

Reason being-I will be attending UNE next fall and they are heavily focused on primary care. I'm not sure of what I want to do down the road but want to have my options open. Any ideas from anyone??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Doctor Peloncito

Doctor Peloncito Family Physician
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    This may be a case of the blind leading the blind, but I assume that it has a lot more to do with who you know (what connections you made during your rotations), and what your board scores were, then where you went to school.

WannabeDO

4. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    WannabeDo has it about right.

Kenneth Iserson has a book entitled "Getting Into A Residency" or something along those lines...often regarded as one of the "must read" for students preparing for residency applications.

He lists the top 20 things that residency directors look at when deciding on a candidate...school attended is somewhere near the bottom...#19 if I remember correctly.

Near the top are

Interviews
    Maturity
    Rotation grades
    Letters of Recommendation
    Board scores

The only thing that may hurt a bit is that UNE is up in the boonies. This only means you may need to work a bit harder to make connections. I would try to do a good number of your rotations in Boston at some bigger facilities.

But I think you will be OK.

Good luck.