When should I apply for Grad Plus Loan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTfloogle

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been accepted into a program that starts in the Fall. The department is handling the registration for classes and we should have our schedule within the next few weeks. Should I wait until my school’s Portal shows that I am enrolled in classes to apply for a grad plus loan or can I do it now? I have already completed a FAFSA app and received an SAR. Please chime in on on your steps after receiving and acceptance letter. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

starting med school this fall, but the grad plus app opened yesterday. Took me less than 30 min to fill it out, received approval within a couple of hours. I say do it now and get it over with. It gives you the option to apply for the max, then make adjustments with your school later.

Reactions: 1 user
I have questions about it too and maybe this is the right thread: when the application asks for a "Loan period start date" what does that refer to? Would that be this school year? The whole 3 years of PT school? Is this something we have to fill out every year like a fafsa?

Members don't see this ad :)
If your acceptance to the school has been processed, you can apply for Grad Plus now.
Loan period start date should be the month when your PT program starts. You apply for 1 year, so it could be like 9/2019-8/2020. And you will need to re-apply every year.

Reactions: 2 users
The grad plus loan was automatically part of my financial aid award letter. All I had to do was sign a promissory note. Check with your financial aid department first

If my program starts in May of 2019, do I say that my application year is 2019-2020 or 2018-2019?