When should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michelle_is_me

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need some SDN-er help here...

I'm currently a third-yr student and going on to 4th yr in a Canadian university.... I didnt do very well in my pre-reqs (~3.0gpa) and my faculty does not allow any re-take.

I didnt really start trying hard in school until this yr, but by now I'm pretty much done all pre-reqs.... so my only hopes right now are to 1) do well on my OAT, 2) do well on the rest of the courses and 3) volunteer!

I am planning on starting to volunteer this summer and write my OAT in August.

My question is, I know everybody keeps on saying to get ur application in ASAP... but what if I know that I'll be trying harder in my 4th yr, should I wait till say Dec to send it in so they can see that I am improving? and have garnered more volunteer experiences? or should I just send it in August anyways?

Members don't see this ad.

My advice is to send in your application as soon as possible. As long as you have a solid transcript, which it sounds like you do, it is important to get that app in as soon as they accept them due to the rolling admissions policy. Why? All of your previous grades will be on your transcript anyway. I think that if you wait, you are just delaying the process. I don't think it matters so much that you are IMPROVING but that you did decently well on all your pre-reqs. Usually, the majority of the pre-reqs are important to the admissions committee. I handed in my app without my OAT score at the beginning of September, when my opt school started accepting them. I didn't take the exam until February. Handing in your app early shows that you have motivation to become an optometrist and that you're on top of things. Nothing much good comes from waiting, at least that's what I think. Hope this helps.

I agree with daysend85... get your apps in as soon as you possibly can, period. When it comes to applying to schools with rolling admissions, applying early is absolutely crucial.

If you want them to notice that you are improving, mention it in your interview, or in the essay that you send in with the application (for the schools that require one). Chances are good that the schools that you apply to may want to see your 4th year grades anyway (at least from the fall term), so you can just send those in in december or whenever you get them.

Another reason why it is a good plan to apply early is that you can get many of the applications out of the way in the summer, and that will take away some stress and let you focus more on school in the fall.

Good luck with everything!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posts. It is good to apply early. However, Since you are Canadian you should know that it makes no difference if you apply to Waterloo early, they just look at things after the cut off dates are passed. Also, you probably shouldnt bank on going there anyway as you will need to have at least a 3.5 GPA to be considered as an applicant there, harsh, but unfortunately true. Also, I would advise you to be VERY sure that Optometry is what you want to do, since it has taken you this long to get your act together and improve your study skills I might consider thinking about the decision and waiting to see if you LOVE the profession. Optometry might be "easier" to get into than Dentistry or Medicine, it is certainly no piece of cake once you are in here....it is hard work and you pretty much can not get any marks below an 80 or you can say buh bye to your tuition....anyway, thats just some things to consider before you make the big decisions.

thanks for everybody's help!

does anybody know if they are actually more lenient on canadian students' GPA? B/c I've heard that canadian univs r harder and so wen it comes to us.... a 3.0 actually equals a 3.2 or sthing?

you Canadians should get over yourself with the GPA thing. Yes, some admission people gives you a little boost over the AVERAGE/LOWER tier US schools, but you are not better than the UC Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, Duke, John Hopkins, Emory, etc... (non-ivy leagues). You are certainly not better than the IVY leagues.

Other than that, I have nothing against Canadians. We all have our flaws and strengths.

you Canadians should get over yourself with the GPA thing. Yes, some admission people gives you a little boost over the AVERAGE/LOWER tier US schools, but you are not better than the UC Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, Duke, John Hopkins, Emory, etc... (non-ivy leagues). You are certainly not better than the IVY leagues.

Other than that, I have nothing against Canadians. We all have our flaws and strengths.

hmm sorry if that came off as arrogant in anyway but just wanted to know if the whole GPA-boosting thing is true or not.

there are obviously some very very respectful schools in the US that I cant get my butt in even in my wildest dreams!

frankly im just starting to get really frustrated of studying here in Canada! hard to get a good mark and then hard to get into a professional program and then hard to find a job wen u graduate! :mad:

i guess ill answer ur question.. the answer is yes... canadian school gpas are bumped up