When should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPink4288

DrPink4288
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! :) I need some help.

I'm in my sophomore year, I'm actually studying abroad for a semester in Finland right now.

If I am set to graduate in the spring of 2010, when is the best time to take the MCAT and apply for Medical schools? I'm a little confused about that. Would I be taking it the spring of my Junior year and then apply during the fall of my senior year? :confused:

Also, I am debating on whether or not I should maybe take a gap year after I graduate to focus more of my energy on the application process. What do you think?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! :) I need some help.

I'm in my sophomore year, I'm actually studying abroad for a semester in Finland right now.

If I am set to graduate in the spring of 2010, when is the best time to take the MCAT and apply for Medical schools? I'm a little confused about that. Would I be taking it the spring of my Junior year and then apply during the fall of my senior year? :confused:

Also, I am debating on whether or not I should maybe take a gap year after I graduate to focus more of my energy on the application process. What do you think?

Thanks!

If you want to start medical school in 2009, the primary application to most medial schools in the AMCAS, which opens in June. So, the process begins in June of the year before you want to start.

You'll want to take the MCAT in the spring because the scores take a month to be released. So April or May is a safe bet.

You don't have to apply that early, although it will greatly help your chances. For instance, you could take the MCAT anytime before September (again, a year before you want to start) and submit your primary application as late as October-December (depends on the school's deadline). But that's a bad idea. Do it early.

Members don't see this ad :)

Agree with the above. However it's never a bad idea to spend the extra time you need to get all your ducks in a row. If you are short on ECs, spend time to get more ECs. If the GPA is low, take more classes. There is no rule that you have to go to med school directly after college, and actually pretty significant penalties for rushing things. Make sure you are putting your best foot forward such that you apply just once and get in.

Agree with the above. However it's never a bad idea to spend the extra time you need to get all your ducks in a row. If you are short on ECs, spend time to get more ECs. If the GPA is low, take more classes. There is no rule that you have to go to med school directly after college, and actually pretty significant penalties for rushing things. Make sure you are putting your best foot forward such that you apply just once and get in.

I second that. Better prepare and get into your dream school or at least a school you want to go to than to rush and get into a school you could "settle" with.