When should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kimaris

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little confused about something. I won't be able to take Orgo until my junior year. I'm going to need about three or four months to study after that for the MCAT. So I'll end up taking the MCAT in either late July or Early August. When does the application cycle start and would taking the MCAT in the late summer put me at a disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad.

You can search for other threads regarding late AMCAS applications; this topic has been extensively discussed.

In short, taking the MCAT in late July or early August would put you at a great disadvantage unless you’re are otherwise an extraordinary applicant. AMCAS opens for data entry in early May and is open for submission on June 1. A late July exam means your results won’t be available until late August, which is a late time to have your primary application complete. Most applicants will have their interviews already scheduled when you are submitting your secondary applications.

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student.

I would be better off waiting another year and applying in 2014, instead of 2013?

I would be better off waiting another year and applying in 2014, instead of 2013?

No one here should really be telling you what to do. All I will say is that an AMCAS that is complete in late August / early September is late. This can hurt you in a system that for the most part operates on a first-come-first-serve basis. The vast majority of all applicants will be complete long before you are.

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student.