When should I ask professor to write LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pawbri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im wondering, if I'm only applying to vet school this summer (or next summer), when is a good time to ask a professor to write a LOR? And how should i go about asking? Im nervous to ask, for some reason. thank you.
Bri

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No need to be nervous! Most professors are more than happy to write LORs, especially when they know you well. I asked for my first LOR around end of March/April and asked them to have it complete by the beginning of July. I wanted to give them plenty of time!

P.S. The search box at the top is helpful in finding a lot of answers to your questions, because many of them have been asked before!

Reactions: 1 users
A lot of it depends on the person and how often you see/work with them. For example, I asked a professor in the end of the spring semester when the class I had with her was finishing, while I asked other people later in the summer when I would be able to ask them more in person.

Something to keep in mind is to ask people early enough that you still have an opportunity to search for a replacement LOR if the person you ask declines or otherwise is unable to write a LOR. I think a decent (rough) timeline for a lot of people is March/April through early June-ish.

If you don't apply this cycle, you can always ask people if they're willing to write you a LOR now (especially if you won't see them for a long time between now/when you actually apply) and then touch base with them again before the cycle when you actually apply.

I let them offer to write the reccomendation but each scenario pretty much worked out the same way. The Prof or vet would say something complimentary, I'd laugh say thanks but they should tell the schools that, which then got a response saying they would be happy to do so. Best to initiate process in person. Give a fake deadline so you have plenty of time to deal with delays.