When should i get info about Starting this fall??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Famousams

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I was accepted and have decided to attend University of Central Florida for my clinical PhD starting this fall. Now i got my acceptance and let them know i accepted and all that in late march early april. I havent heard anything from them since. Is this normal? WHen should i start getting details about orientation, registration and the details about starting the program?? I am just wondering if it is normal to not get any information by now or if i should be contacting the program. Sorry I worry about everything!!:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Although I am not going to UCF for Clinical, I will be attending for I/O PhD and I too have not heard from them after I accepted. The director of the I/O program said they were finishing up with the financial aspects, last I heard on April 16th. I am sure we will hear more once school is finished and they have some more free time, but if you are truly worried I would send an email to the director asking what the traditional time schedule was like. I believe my director asked if I had any questions immediately after I was admitted and although I have been recently thinking about this particular question, it did not come to me at that particular time. Good luck next year and we will probably run into each other because we will be one wing apart.

I haven't heard from my program for a while but they did say that things were coming out in the next few weeks and they checked to make sure they had the right address, so I am assuming things will probably be coming in the next few weeks. You at least aren't alone in not hearing much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a different experience... I was sent a bunch of forms and info on orientations, etc., along with apartment and condo guides from the department. I count as International (Canadian-US school), so that might be a factor.

I've been in frequent contact with my prof at the grad school. I initiated the contact, though, so I'd suggest you do the same if you want to get started on stuff over the summer.

I'll be moving to Florida too, Famousams. Yay!

I'd email your POI just to "Check in" etc. and ask.

I just received a packet from my school a few days ago (though I have been in contact with students and professors in the interim), so I doubt your situation is that unusual.

I too, will be in FL, though I'll be at USF. Perhaps we should organize an SDN meeting there since between us and I think there's a few people at UF as well, we'll all be within ~2 hours of eachother.

Where in FL will you be going JockNerd? (Have I asked you that before? Can't remember if I did....)

<-- proud new member of the Gator Nation.

Oh man it makes me feel better that i am not alone. I will probably contact my POI soon just incase. I am in NJ now and am super excited to move to FL. I cant wait to not have to deal witht the harsh North Eastern winters. Hey IO psych, have you visited the campus for interviews and such? It is gorgeous!!!!........I am sure well bump into eachother. Even with all the programs together there arent alot of incoming students in graudate psych! For everyone else migrating to FL where you coming from?

Yeah it is beautiful, I love the palm trees in front of the building. Also the building is brand new and looks alot like the business school of the University I graduated from. Which means that they put alot of money into their Psych program and that was a big plus for me coming in. I graduated from a Big 12 university and our Psychology building was as old as dirt, so to see a psychology building that is comparable, although smaller, to a Big 12 University Business school was simply amazing to me. I will be moving from St. Louis, so I too am looking forward to the year round 60 degree weather.

Edit I have a picture from the front of the building I was trying to upload, but I don't know how to change the dimensions, so was unable to do so.

I'm coming from Buffalo. Talk about a climate change:)

There are rows of palm trees outside the windows of some of the labs. This is in stark contrast to the pavement, piles of snow, and dead/dying trees I am used to.

We will have to deal with hurricanes, but I figure my chances of being injured/killed in a hurricane are still about 1/10000000th my chances of being in a serious car accident due to poor road conditions, so I'm comfortable with that:)

Buffalo eh? And St. Louis. Hm. That will be a nice change. :rolleyes:

I live in WINNIPEG. I win.

Buffalo eh? And St. Louis. Hm. That will be a nice change. :rolleyes:

I live in WINNIPEG. I win.

I believe you do take the cake.

I have always wanted to live in Florida and UCF was actually the only program in Florida I applied to so I was very excited when I found out I had been accepted.

How bout all those toll highways though? Good Lord, I felt like I was going to go broke when visiting the school, but I guess you learn to avoid them or live with them when you are there. It seemed like every 100 yards they wanted 50 cents!!

Yay for relocating out of the snow. Yeah i am coming from NJ but i did my undergrad in upstate NY so this will be a great change. I was in Binghamton......which means i only saw the sun twice a year. And as for the tolls.....coming from NJ i guess ill be used to them. ALthough i think its easier to avoid here cuz we have so many options. But i have a good friend in Brooklyn and i pay 9 buck every time i go visit to cross the Verrazzano. Luckily i dont think there will be much bridge action in Orlando. Can't wait!!

Perhaps we should organize an SDN meeting there since between us and I think there's a few people at UF as well, we'll all be within ~2 hours of eachother.

I'd be down for this :D

I finally got a packet of info from UF last week. Although it was just the standard hiring, tax, and immunization forms, it was kind of exciting to fill them out. It was my first hard-copy proof that yes, I am actually going to grad school in a few months :)