When should I give my notice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doccute

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started working with an FQHC a few months ago. I have been interviewing for another job and finally signed a contract with the new employer. I am willing to complete a one year term with my current employer and the start date for my new role allows for that. I have not quit yet and I do not want to give my notice until 60days to the day I intend to leave (which is the requirement). The new job is with a DSO and they want to start the credentialing process right away. Would the credentialing process alert my current employer in any way and cause problems for me?

Members don't see this ad.

I started working with an FQHC a few months ago. I have been interviewing for another job and finally signed a contract with the new employer. I am willing to complete a one year term with my current employer and the start date for my new role allows for that. I have not quit yet and I do not want to give my notice until 60days to the day I intend to leave (which is the requirement). The new job is with a DSO and they want to start the credentialing process right away. Would the credentialing process alert my current employer in any way and cause problems for me?

I don’t think the credentialing process would alert your current employer. However, once you’re credentialed with the new job, your name and new office can be found on the insurance search tools. If by any chance someone at your current FQHC search your name they might see it and they might ask you about it or not.

I have always liked this approach...

"I have accepted a new job. I can be out of here this afternoon or in 60 days. Which would you refer?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have changed jobs twice in the last two years and each one contacted my previous employer during the credentialing process. I don’t think it’s a must, but I wouldn’t count on them NOT contacting them. I was only informed because the HR department at my new jobs wanted a explanation of something that my previous employer told them.

Reactions: 1 users
Your new employer, if it is a corporate or FQHC will absolutely contact your current employer. If it's an FQHC I think they have a legal requirement to contact them and confirm you work for them. If it's a private practice I don't think this is a concern - just let them know.

Your NPI is the other concern because your new office may require that you indicate them as your new employer (for credentialing purposes). The FQHCs I worked at would notice a change like that very quickly.

It doesn’t matter. If you have a 60 day notice requirement then give them 60 days notice. It’s not like they will fire you sooner. And if they do, you have another job. No big deal.

At the end of the day, it boils down to what do you want to have attached to your name.

The only thing you have ultimately is your good name.

Thank you everyone for your input!