Quitting Job with no 2 week notice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nokaryote

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I am going to be relieving myself of duties in the clinic that I work at and another job opportunity has offered me employment close to my sick mother (Stage 5 CKD) and my hometown. I work in a FQHC that is pretty much government funded and the dental clinic that I work in has just become far too political for any reasonable person to withstand. My boss is terrible, both in leadership quality, and clinical skills.

It all started when his favorite personal dental assistant said very degrading things to me, and then when I wrote a report on it and gave it to my boss, it somehow disappeared and he didn't bring it to where it is supposed to go. She brings her personal emotional baggage into work and often explodes on her coworkers but sucks up big time to the boss. Then he himself made a degrading remark to me and I reported him for it, and he only got a slap on the hand, and nothing on paper. He responded to this by never informing me of literally anything that ever goes on in the clinic. Changes in policy outside of huddles? He will tell literally everyone except me, and I have to find out things either on the fly or from my dental assistants.

They then fired my father who was the last competent dentist in the clinic and they fired him over the most stupid "official" reason. The real reason was because he wasn't playing well with the corrupt system.

For example, he will declare that we have to see all the emergency dental walk-ins for the day as well as the comprehensive exams, and then he will lock himself in his office to "do paperwork" and leave the rest of us to deal with the fallout of these random and sporadic policy changes that last literally 1 day and at his whim.

As a result of the recent firing, I am the last dentist besides the boss/CDO, so the boss/CDO shunts all of the work onto me. Over the last 3 months I have been seeing 4 times as many new patients as him, and 3 times as reoccurring patients (I calculated with the day sheets), and when I brought this up to the supervisor he said he "didn't care about the past and to think about the future". He completely disregarded the fact that my CDO abuses his "admin time" by locking himself in his office and shopping on Amazon. Meanwhile my living adjustments for inflation finally came in 6 months late because everyone was "just too busy with the paperwork" and claimed it was actually partially my fault because I didn't check his checkboxes for him.

To clarify, for every 1 patient my CDO saw, I saw 4 patients, he would work a single chair and see maybe 3-4 patients a day and send them out for referral costing the facility a lot of money, while I was seeing and actually delivering treatments to 14-15 patients a day, and actually doing my damn job as a dentist. Also not that it is important, but he makes 2x my salary, while spending most of his day shopping on Amazon, or bull****ting around the clinic. He only is supposed to have 20% more admin time than me, yet there is a 300% difference.

Also, after I presented this report of the day sheets to his supervisor, I 'mysteriously' was not able to access the day sheets anymore, and IT hasn't been able to "get around to it".

TLDR My supervisor really sucks, and pushes all of his work onto me, bullies me, and admin doesn't care.

I am not planning on coming back to this area again, ever, but what are the ramifications as a doctor/dentist if I just deliver my resignation effective immediately? Me leaving will essentially ruin the clinic, as there will be no competent dentist delivering treatment, only the supervisor who sees barely any patients a day.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry this has happened to you. Bit to be honest, reading your rant it is clear we are only hearing one side of the story, and part of me thinks you are omitting some crucial information to make it sound more favorable to you.
My advice is this. I would look at this situation long and hard, and learn as much as you can from it. It is entirely possible that I am reading this situation wrong. But from my perspective, it sounds like you have some part to play in this, and if you don't recognize this you are going to have similar issues at your next clinic. And the next.
I've seen dentists who find themselves is a revolving door of new associateships because they never accept any responsibility for their actions

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I agree with the person above. Also, because you are a dentist and not a dental assistant, you should give them more notice than 2 weeks. My family members who are dentists have all given 6 months notice while switching clinics. You are extremely difficult to replace as a dentist, and it would be detrimental to a clinic for you to leave without notice. Think about the patients; the ones that have appointments scheduled won't be seeing a dentist for a few months if you leave the clinic abruptly.

I think it's great that you found a clinic that is next to your sick mother & you should absolutely take them up on it. I would at least give them some notice - it doesn't have to be 6 months (3 months is more common). But leave professionally; dentistry is a small world, and you don't want to burn any bridges.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am going to be relieving myself of duties in the clinic that I work at and another job opportunity has offered me employment close to my sick mother (Stage 5 CKD) and my hometown. I work in a FQHC that is pretty much government funded and the dental clinic that I work in has just become far too political for any reasonable person to withstand. My boss is terrible, both in leadership quality, and clinical skills.

It all started when his favorite personal dental assistant said very degrading things to me, and then when I wrote a report on it and gave it to my boss, it somehow disappeared and he didn't bring it to where it is supposed to go. She brings her personal emotional baggage into work and often explodes on her coworkers but sucks up big time to the boss. Then he himself made a degrading remark to me and I reported him for it, and he only got a slap on the hand, and nothing on paper. He responded to this by never informing me of literally anything that ever goes on in the clinic. Changes in policy outside of huddles? He will tell literally everyone except me, and I have to find out things either on the fly or from my dental assistants.

They then fired my father who was the last competent dentist in the clinic and they fired him over the most stupid "official" reason. The real reason was because he wasn't playing well with the corrupt system.

For example, he will declare that we have to see all the emergency dental walk-ins for the day as well as the comprehensive exams, and then he will lock himself in his office to "do paperwork" and leave the rest of us to deal with the fallout of these random and sporadic policy changes that last literally 1 day and at his whim.

As a result of the recent firing, I am the last dentist besides the boss/CDO, so the boss/CDO shunts all of the work onto me. Over the last 3 months I have been seeing 4 times as many new patients as him, and 3 times as reoccurring patients (I calculated with the day sheets), and when I brought this up to the supervisor he said he "didn't care about the past and to think about the future". He completely disregarded the fact that my CDO abuses his "admin time" by locking himself in his office and shopping on Amazon. Meanwhile my living adjustments for inflation finally came in 6 months late because everyone was "just too busy with the paperwork" and claimed it was actually partially my fault because I didn't check his checkboxes for him.

To clarify, for every 1 patient my CDO saw, I saw 4 patients, he would work a single chair and see maybe 3-4 patients a day and send them out for referral costing the facility a lot of money, while I was seeing and actually delivering treatments to 14-15 patients a day, and actually doing my damn job as a dentist. Also not that it is important, but he makes 2x my salary, while spending most of his day shopping on Amazon, or bull****ting around the clinic. He only is supposed to have 20% more admin time than me, yet there is a 300% difference.

Also, after I presented this report of the day sheets to his supervisor, I 'mysteriously' was not able to access the day sheets anymore, and IT hasn't been able to "get around to it".

TLDR My supervisor really sucks, and pushes all of his work onto me, bullies me, and admin doesn't care.

I am not planning on coming back to this area again, ever, but what are the ramifications as a doctor/dentist if I just deliver my resignation effective immediately? Me leaving will essentially ruin the clinic, as there will be no competent dentist delivering treatment, only the supervisor who sees barely any patients a day.

Always try to leave on a good note if possible. If you literally leave and screw them over- then don’t be surprised if you get a board complaint or something like that. Owner dentists and or supervisors can easily say “hey we need to redo your filling or crown- and the previous doc messed it all up- you should file a complaint and here’s how you do it.”

Reactions: 2 users
I have walked out twice.
In both cases I had over 15 years in. The powers that be knew that my management was the problem not me.
Each time I moved on to other things without problems.

In these economic times, I think walking out on a badly managed operation is a viable option. "They" will find out that it is much harder to replace said dentist than it would have been treat said dentist well.

I'm sorry this has happened to you. Bit to be honest, reading your rant it is clear we are only hearing one side of the story, and part of me thinks you are omitting some crucial information to make it sound more favorable to you.
My advice is this. I would look at this situation long and hard, and learn as much as you can from it. It is entirely possible that I am reading this situation wrong. But from my perspective, it sounds like you have some part to play in this, and if you don't recognize this you are going to have similar issues at your next clinic. And the next.
I've seen dentists who find themselves is a revolving door of new associateships because they never accept any responsibility for their actions
There are a lot of lazy dentists that lack leadership abilities, so I don’t think what the OP described is unrealistic. The most important thing they can take away from this situation is how to spot a toxic office before they start working there.

If you don’t have any contractual obligation, I think two weeks is enough time for any employer. They will not be happy about it, but this is business and you’ve decided to sell your labor somewhere else.

Reactions: 5 users
it doesn’t matter. I’ve quit on the spot multiple times and the same corporations keep calling me to go back. Once was because corporate managers tried to dictate what I can and cannot treatment plan. 2nd, pay dispute. 3rd, didn’t get along with the new office manager.

Just know that you’re a dentist now, you can get a job anywhere and don’t let people push you around.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay, I've worked public health... the lazy director is absolutely believable tbh

But make sure you cool off and leave professionally, don't focus on the negativity and toxicity, just tell them you need to get back to your hometown ASAP to take care of your mom

You already have a job lined up, unless your current contract stipulates otherwise, two weeks is fine

Do what is best for you. Someone else’s office is not your problem. Don’t lose sleep over it. If walking away immediately is best for you, and you have a good reason, then do it. Don’t feel guilty that “you’re difficult to replace”. People come and go all the time. Don’t hold your life back because of this. Best of luck on ur next endeavor!

Reactions: 1 user
At the end of the day, it's a job. A job is supposed to be where you go to earn a living, and nothing more. If you have determined that this particular place isn't where you want to earn a living, then you should find a new office immediately. Once you have a new office, put in your notice to leave. You're only obligated to put in as much notice as what your contract says. If it puts your current office in a tough position, then they should have anticipated this and treated you more favorably. It doesn't have to be anything personal. It's just you looking out for what's best for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Do not leave without notice. I would say 30 days is best but 2 weeks is minimal. You give notice not because you want to help out the clinic or your boss. You're doing it because it's the kind of person you are. Even given your family situation it doesn't seem right.