BOTH When should I postpone my exams to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiths11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am scheduled to take Step 1 in 6 days and am nowhere near prepared, and today is the last day I can postpone before it becomes more expensive to do so. I also have to schedule my COMLEX. I have already switched my rotations so that I can have July off and will be starting in IM in August.

I've been studying for about 5 weeks and am experiencing burnout already, so I am in a dilemma - don't want to postpone it for too soon otherwise I won't be prepared and don't want to postpone it for too late otherwise I'm afraid of becoming completely jaded and burned out even more. I have to take July 17 and 18th off for a friend's wedding.

Sources:
1) UWORLD: 66% left of first pass, but can't get more than 40-50% on average. Would like to go through it twice before taking the exam.
2) COMBANK which I have barely touched.
3) First Aid, Pathoma videos, DIT videos, and Kaplan videos on an as needed basis.

Weaknesses: Everything, but more so Anatomy, Embryology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pharmacology

Option 1: Postpone to July 16th for Step 1 and maybe July 22nd or so for COMLEX.
Option 2: Postpone to July 27th for Step 1 and July 29th for COMLEX

I would like to score a 230-240 ideally.

Would love to hear your advice on a) when should I postpone until and b) how should I study going forward

Please help as I'm really worried. Honesty is appreciated but rudeness is not. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Drop the step1. Concentrate only on COMLEX. Start with high yield topics - neuro, micro, pharm, repro, cardio, omm .... And do lots of questions and go over mistakes

If you really wanna take usmle, take an NBME and see how you do it. Also take a Comsae to gauge where you are now

Sources:
1) UWORLD: 66% left of first pass, but can't get more than 40-50% on average. Would like to go through it twice before taking the exam.
2) COMBANK which I have barely touched.
3) First Aid, Pathoma videos, DIT videos, and Kaplan videos on an as needed basis.

Weaknesses: Everything, but more so Anatomy, Embryology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pharmacology

Option 1: Postpone to July 16th for Step 1 and maybe July 22nd or so for COMLEX.
Option 2: Postpone to July 27th for Step 1 and July 29th for COMLEX.

Have you taken any self-assessment from NBME or UW yet? If you haven't, you should take an NBME first, after that, choosing one of your options will depend solely on your score.