When should I schedule my DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rayani12

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So I am in a confusing situation,

I was planning on taking the DAT this upcoming May 30th, but there are no dates available. The earliest date is June 5th, the reason I didn't sign up earlier was because I wanted to schedule a date once I was receiving high scores on the practice exams. My main concern is, I don't want to be ready to take the DAT and to come to find out that all the dates are filled which can push me back to apply.

Also, does anyone know if testing centers let you fill in those spots when people cancel or reschedule for the date you want? Please let me know!

Right now- The only plan I have is to sign up for the June 5th one, and If Im not receiving very high practice scores to then reschedule.

Can anyone give any advice on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, first question is when do you intend to apply? This cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you are asking if say you scheduled your test for June the 5th and then a spot opened on May the 29th, can you reschedule to that earlier date?

Yes! But of course, the more you are near June the 5th, the higher the fee for rescheduling. ( it becomes 60 dollars in May, and then the last week is 100 dollar)

and yeah, it's a good thing that you plan to reschedule if you are not ready.

Honestly, not a big difference between June the 5th and May the 29th.

Best of luck, I hope you get a really nice score.

People do take it in July after they submit their application, and still get into lots of schools.

Reactions: 1 user
The best advice I can give is to just pick a date and study like mad. If you are really getting bad practice scores, then just bite the rescheduling fee to give yourself more time to study. I don't see any value in not setting a date now, it gives you something to aim for and motivation to study. Also, practice scores aren't everything, I was getting 17s consistently on QR and ended up with a 21 on the actual DAT. As long as your practice scores and decent and you are understanding what you are missing, you should be fine. Not many people go into the DAT feeling 100%, you just have to study hard and then give it your best effort.

The best advice I can give is to just pick a date and study like mad. If you are really getting bad practice scores, then just bite the rescheduling fee to give yourself more time to study. I don't see any value in not setting a date now, it gives you something to aim for and motivation to study. Also, practice scores aren't everything, I was getting 17s consistently on QR and ended up with a 21 on the actual DAT. As long as your practice scores and decent and you are understanding what you are missing, you should be fine. Not many people go into the DAT feeling 100%, you just have to study hard and then give it your best effort.
You will never actually feel ready. I had put it off for maybe a year because I was scared (but fortunately didn't apply until I actually had a score in my hands), but knew that I wasn't doing myself a favor continuously delaying it. At some point, I paid the testing fee, and you have six months to sit for the test or else you forfeit the fee. I got to the end of the six month period and just had to do it, despite still not feeling ready.

Reactions: 1 user