When should I send update letters pre-interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nabilesmail

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to about 35 schools between late september- mid october and have 5 rejections and 0 II. I know I applied late so it hasn't been much time yet, but when should I start to send letters of interest etc...?

I just dont want to send it too early!

Members don't see this ad.

There are many schools that stop interviewing in Dec/Jan. You should consider sending them now.

When you have something substantial to send

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many schools that stop interviewing in Dec/Jan. You should consider sending them now.

darkjedi: can you list a few schools that stop interviewing in Dec/Jan? I briefly went through the list of schools that I applied to, and most of their deadlines for secondary is in Dec...

When you have something substantial to send

I'm not sure I have anything substantial to update, rather, I can send a few update letters of why I want to go to specific schools

Should I not send anything then?

I have sent two thus far, I don't feel they have made a difference.

darkjedi: can you list a few schools that stop interviewing in Dec/Jan? I briefly went through the list of schools that I applied to, and most of their deadlines for secondary is in Dec...

NYU and Pitt end in December I believe

Off the top of my head, NYU ends in Dec, Penn and UChicago end in Jan. Columbia ends in Feb I believe.

So I really don't have any updates, my GPA kind of tanked and I wasn't involved in my research as much as I thought I would of (pretty much non existant), with only 1 II I don't know how to approach sending letters of say intent.

Do I pick a list of my top schools and tell each school that they are my #1 choice? I'm confused as to how to approach sending in letters ;/

So I really don't have any updates, my GPA kind of tanked and I wasn't involved in my research as much as I thought I would of (pretty much non existant), with only 1 II I don't know how to approach sending letters of say intent.

Do I pick a list of my top schools and tell each school that they are my #1 choice? I'm confused as to how to approach sending in letters ;/

I'd not recommend telling a school you haven't even interviewed at yet that you will come if accepted.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Well I meant to say how I would be a great fit etc..

Yeah if we have to reapply we'll do it together lol! 1st day submit!!!!

But I'll be applying with worse stats probably a 3.67/34 but that should be much better then a late 3.74/34

if you dont mind me asking which schools are you waiting to hear from/got an II/ rejected from?

,Maybe there is a pattern between us!

I sent out a letter of update in the past couple of days. I did have something substantial to update them with, however - my research and clinical undertakings in the months after I submitted my AMCAS. I also added a brief closing paragraph to express my continued interest in their school. I think now would be a good time to send out a update letter. A letter of interest/intent would be better post-interview, but, a letter of interest could work pre-interview.

The thing is I have nothing to update, the only thing I could really talk about is why I think I'm a good fit for the school. But in the scenario should I saw its a top choice? What if it isn't but I wouldn't mind going there?

I'm not sure if this is what nabiles is going for, but I think the question is if a letter of interest is appropriate if there's nothing substantial to update, the entire letter is focused on interest only. If it's not nabiles' question....can you guys answer this anyway? :D

I'm not sure if this is what nabiles is going for, but I think the question is if a letter of interest is appropriate if there's nothing substantial to update, the entire letter is focused on interest only. If it's not nabiles' question....can you guys answer this anyway? :D

Exactly my question! Thanks, Kind of how that one girl on studoc got rejected from UCI and wrote a letter of interest and got an interview

Honestly, I don't think a letter of interest would hurt at this point. What have you really got to lose? You can definitely say it is your top choice, or at least one of your favored schools. If you want to write a really strong LOI, then I would suggest going further than that, and really going into detail on why you and the school(s) are a good fit for/could benefit each other.

I don't think a late application hurts, granted I didn't finally decide on applying to med schools until the end of summer, so I submitted my application really late. I think I was complete early to end of october for most schools. Fortunately I still received 15 interview invites so far, with half of them from top-10 schools, and I already received a few acceptances. I haven't written any updates or letters of interest. I asked my professor about them and he said it really depends on the school, most accept them, but there are some that don't read them until post-interview. I don't think a late application is necessarily a death sentence-it probably everything depends on the strength of the app as a whole though.
What will help you is to have someone submit a letter of recommendation for you, preferably from someone who knows you really well and can vouch for you as a good candidate. Good luck.