When should I start looking into HPSP? Applying this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youraverageasia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
^

Members don't see this ad.

literally right now as we speak.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
same here....need to find a recruiter

ASAP! I contacted my recruiter in April.

yes do it asap. sooner the better

Yesterday. Dealing with the military is painfully slow, tedious, and frustrating. While I have made substantial progress and already had my interview and MEPS physical, my application is still not complete and I started LAST summer.

What else do you need?

This is all regarding the Navy. You need to fill out paperwork online and send it to them through a signed pdf type thing, send in your personal statement, LORs from three most recent employers, send in social security card, and some other stuff if I remember anything that I forgot I'll let you know. What frustrates me is that two of my three most recent employers are a Taco Bell and my university's dining hall, and turnover rate is so high I couldn't get LORs from my bosses if I tried. My third employer was also a lab PI and my recruiter said she wanted a separate one from the same guy as my employer instead of PI.

Strange, my recruiter seems to be doing it backwards from yours. I sent info in, such as social security card and birth certificate, a little background info, and I believe my health form.

For the LoRs, he said the ones I sent to dental school would be fine, although I asked my writers to gear it more towards the military. He never mentioned me sending in my PS but rather a motivation statement on why I want to be a military dentist.

It has been a pain trying to get in contact with him, so I would also recommend everyone starting ASAP. I still need to do MEPS/Interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
ASAP is right!!! Already did my physical and I'm getting in my last LOR from my shadowing dentist and then my app is complete. I contacted a recruiter in April and started the process back then just for some context. After that I guess it is waiting for the October/November boards (whenever it is.)

Yesterday. Dealing with the military is painfully slow, tedious, and frustrating. While I have made substantial progress and already had my interview and MEPS physical, my application is still not complete and I started LAST summer.

are you matriculating this fall or next fall 2016? if fall 2016, why you started your HPSP so early.

on the side note, I come across navy recruiter too and she is painfully slow. I decide to withdraw from navy and switch to army instead. This is by far worthwhile so far. The recruiter at army branch seems enthusiastic rather than my navy recruiter who seems like MEH MEH.

My army recruiter now is super responsive. Within two weeks of contacting him, I already had my MEPS and most of paper work in. Just waiting for some re-check up and few LORs coming in.

Yes, I've also heard Army recruiters are more eager and on top of the process. I'm glad things are moving more quickly for you, it must be much less frustrating. I am matriculating Fall 2016. I started so early because my recruiter told me that I did not need a letter of acceptance in order to apply with an AA > 23, and that some people would be accepted in October, and did not want to have to wait to be in the same group as people who apply after December 1st when they get an acceptance.

ah I see. well i have an AA 21 and navy told me to wait until post dec 1 official letter of admission. so I switch to Army who only requires 20AA to submit my application in this october.

I am surprised you started so early, last year? because most paperwork and LOR expire after 6 months (for army at least)

You are correct about that. My recruiter didn't tell me paperwork expired and I needed to re do it, but I guess a benefit was that I did my MEPS and physical during December and got them out of the way, and I believe she said those would be good for the year.

smh what kind of recruiters didn't know this.

Do you guys know if the expiration date is 6 months away from when you send off your packet? If so, I think I should be good as I sent in my military letters in June. I am hoping for the Navy but the Army as you all said is much more eager.

Does anyone know if they would consider a graduate GPA? My undergrad GPA is a bit on the low side, so I did a Master's which I did really well in... I'm hoping they take that into consideration.

Do you guys know if the expiration date is 6 months away from when you send off your packet? If so, I think I should be good as I sent in my military letters in June. I am hoping for the Navy but the Army as you all said is much more eager.

The expiration date is, according to what I am told, 3 month for Navy and 6 month for Army, from the date of your first expected board.

The expiration date is, according to what I am told, 3 month for Navy and 6 month for Army, from the date of your first expected board.

Strange, the Navy didn't say anything in regards to my letters. We'll see what happens.