When should I start preparing for the NAPLEX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BetseyJohnson

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm 1.5 years away from graduation, btw. Are there any books you would recommend as study guides? For those of you who have already taken it (& passed, of course), how did you prepare? Thanks!
 
I studied 2 weeks for it, which is the worst idea ever. The NAPLEX is a test that tests BASIC knowledge with a wide range of random questions. The ONLY thing you should study for is the calculations. If you study a few hours for that, you should be fine. Out of the 185 questions, there are probably 20-30 calculation questions, but they count 30-40% of your overall score. They are weighted THAT heavily.

If I had to do it all over again, I would've just studied for calculations. I made a 118 on the test. If I just looked over all the calculations, I would have gotten at least 130+.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Betsey,
Is your school making you take the PCOA? (or whatever they call the pre-NAPLEX) We are taking it in January as a P3 class. I plan to use my results to guage what subjects I need to strengthen. My school is also bribing us with extra days off during rotations based on how we perform on the PCOA.
 
about a week before. I bet I put in about 8 hours cumulative studying after graduation, and I still crushed it.