When Should I take MY MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahavah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like opinions on when I should take my fall MCAT...

Background: I'm moving about 9 hours away on August 17th for grad school which starts August 25th.

Should I take the Tuesday, August 24th MCAT the day before grad school and after a big move just a few days earlier? Or should I take the Saturday, September 11th MCAT that's approximately 3 weeks into my grad program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would like opinions on when I should take my fall MCAT...

Background: I'm moving about 9 hours away on August 17th for grad school which starts August 25th.

Should I take the Tuesday, August 24th MCAT the day before grad school and after a big move just a few days earlier? Or should I take the Saturday, September 11th MCAT that's approximately 3 weeks into my grad program?

Thanks!

I would take it on the 24th so that you can devote all your time before the test for the MCAT. You would have to worry about the MCAT and Grad School if you took it on September 11th. I'm just trying to be simplistic.
Good Luck.

I was thinking the same thing (while not grad school) I will be taking cell bio and physics (retake) this fall and I registered for the MCAT the 11th thinking we won't be in the bulk of the material by then to overload myself. But I suppose it depends on what your grad school is in. But I would probably say the 24th and try to review each day before then. Take a couple hours from unpacking stuff.

Easily the 24th. However, keep in mind that MCAT scores expire in about 3 years. Furthermore, medical schools do NOT like seeing you drop out of grad school. It's a red flag for them. So, you should wait until after grad school to take the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Easily the 24th. However, keep in mind that MCAT scores expire in about 3 years. Furthermore, medical schools do NOT like seeing you drop out of grad school. It's a red flag for them. So, you should wait until after grad school to take the MCAT.

Yeah I'm probably going to take it Aug 24th. And I'm not dropping out of grad school, simply planning the best time to take the MCAT considering my future course load.

Thanks for everyone's input! :thumbup: