When should I take the MCAT? Non-traditional/postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted969940

Hi all!

I will be applying to 2020-2021 cycle. I know that we should have our apps in ASAP.
With that being said:

I will be in Organic and Physics II in spring 2020. Should I take the MCAT in March 2020 or wait until I have completed the full sequence? Which would put me at either the May or June MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

You should take the MCAT by mid May of 2020. You could take it March/April as well - and self teach the 1-2 topics that are remaining in those subject areas in a weekend or two and test 1-2 months earlier and be comfortably early for the cycle.

Going to disagree, for the following reasons:

The MCAT basically takes surface-level knowledge and applies it to some super random/weird context. So while depth of knowledge (what you would get from a class) isn't super necessary, being able to know how to apply it to a number of different topics and settings is. So for that reason, I'd say you need to actually finish the class. Plus, trying to balance MCAT + orgo + physics is either a road to failure or going to suck the life out of you. Additionally, you'll want to get biochem under your belt (like an actually strong understanding here) before your test. New format is super biochem heavy (2 sections focus heavily on applying biochem concepts to random papers), so you actually need true mastery.

Making a bold assumption that the OP is graduating in 2021. So I'd say take orgo + physics in S20, Biochem in F20, MCAT S21 (I've been told that mid spring mcat curves are generally more forgiving, but could be hearsay), and apply 21-22. It'll give a better mcat score and a better application. And in 50 years, burning an extra year to get things right won't really matter.

My 2 cents...

Reactions: 1 user
I will disagree as well with the above comment.

Biochem was not mentioned as something the student took or hadn't taken o I didn't take that into consideration in my advice.

Physics II and Orgo II by April - you will literally have a topic or two at maximum to cover from each subject category in most universities (as most universities end early May, and have finals the week before). In a 30 week sequence of each subject and most mcat books breaking these down into 12 chapters at maximum - that means you have roughly 3/30 weeks of learning or a 10th or 1-2 chapters of material from each subject you will have to self learn. The later Orgo II topics in university are not covered by MCAT organic chemistry either so you're actually going to be covering a maximum of 3 chapters on your own, which is a very easy task.

The benefit of having your MCAT with a score by May so you can apply when the application opens with no stress on June 1 is immense. If the student is planning so far ahead - he or she should have no issues finding some prep resources/free videos to cover the few topics ahead of time that he won't be covering in the MCAT.

Many students are taking the MCAT during their last few prerequisites as fitting in Biochem, Organic I/II, Physics I/II, G Chem I/II, Bio I/II, Psychology, Sociology, and additional classes (physiology or Anatomy & Physiology, Cell Bio, Genetics, Microbio, statistics, Biochem II, and a Reasoning/Ethics class which are sometimes floated as additional prerequisites that are useful for the MCAT) is very difficult to fit in in all before April of your Junior year for most students.

The student is starting to think about the MCAT now. He can get most of his content review done this summer for classes or Fall 2019 (lightly) , self learn topics for Orgo II/Physics II lightly (really not an emphasis on the MCAT) and then focus on practice materials/tests for his spring 2020 semester. If the student is graduating in 2021 - and does not want a gap year - he should really aim for a April test date or one in May shortly after graduation at latest if he can help it. Being early in the App cycle is tremendously advantageous - and although you can submit an application June 1 without an MCAT score - you're stuck in a limbo of not knowing your score and hence not knowing exactly where you'd be competitive for.

I agree with the poster that Biochem is super important - but I am unsure if the student has taken Biochem yet or not and/or when he plans to take it. I would try to take Biochem F19 if possible if the student is graduating in May 2021 (even though it would most likely be concurrent with Organic Chemistry). As a student who scored A-'s in both Ochem and Biochem courses - I do not believe organic is required to do well in Biochem and some universities will let you override that prerequisite.

Regarding curves - No such thing. The MCAT is standardized and the difficulty does vary - but the "curve"/grading accounts for this.

If you are going to go the gap year route - @JSReed has a reasonable timeline he outlined but my advice assumed the student was looking to apply when he said he wanted to apply as a fixed and non-negotiable.

Whoa. Its my opinion. Did pretty well on the mcat, but I'm also not god.

1. If they haven't taken ochem and physics and arent graduating until 2021, I made a (pretty strong) assumption that they also hadn't taken biochem. No its not necessary, and technically none of the courses are necessary. Technically biology and ochem should cover your bases, but the depth you need isn't in either of those two classes. AAMS focuses highly on taking biochemical and biological concepts and applying them to random papers you've never read, so you really need to have a good understanding of the concepts of biochem. Neither really gives you (in my experience) with things like thermokinetics, pka, and a handful of others. At the least, I'd say study for the mcat the same semester as biochem-- gives you decent exposure.

2. Yes, covering an extra 2 chapters during the semester isn't a big deal. Its reviewing content, taking FLs, actually reviewing those FLs, addressing gaps through, AND balancing a full courseload with some heavy-duty science classes. Doesn't sound like a winning recipe to me, but N=1.

3. In my experience, no university has finals in april. I have 3 degrees, and for none of them (or at the accompanying undergrad institutions) did they have finals before may 15. I've heard of quite a few going into june. Are you referring to a quarters system? Maybe the OP can tell us when their finals are.

4. Right, I get that a lot of people are doing it. Doesn't make it a great idea. Maybe OP can provide a little info on how they're doing in school so far? If they're at a 4.0 through 3 semesters and have taken a decent amount of hard science, I'm all on board with them taking it earlier.

5. Agreed, being early is TREMENDOUSLY important. If they're really against a gap year, I guess an april/may date is the latest you can push it. Not something I would do, but...I'm also on my 7th gap year. Maybe that's just me.

6. No you don't (necessarily) need ochem for biochem-- helps, but not necessary. Bigger issue is that OP will need to prioritize taking lower division MCAT "prereqs". So unless they're comfortable taking a full courseload of hard science (I wouldn't recommend it), biochem will have to wait.

Whoa. Its my opinion. Did pretty well on the mcat, but I'm also not god.

1. If they haven't taken ochem and physics and arent graduating until 2021, I made a (pretty strong) assumption that they also hadn't taken biochem. No its not necessary, and technically none of the courses are necessary. Technically biology and ochem should cover your bases, but the depth you need isn't in either of those two classes. AAMS focuses highly on taking biochemical and biological concepts and applying them to random papers you've never read, so you really need to have a good understanding of the concepts of biochem. Neither really gives you (in my experience) with things like thermokinetics, pka, and a handful of others. At the least, I'd say study for the mcat the same semester as biochem-- gives you decent exposure.

2. Yes, covering an extra 2 chapters during the semester isn't a big deal. Its reviewing content, taking FLs, actually reviewing those FLs, addressing gaps through, AND balancing a full courseload with some heavy-duty science classes. Doesn't sound like a winning recipe to me, but N=1.

3. In my experience, no university has finals in april. I have 3 degrees, and for none of them (or at the accompanying undergrad institutions) did they have finals before may 15. I've heard of quite a few going into june. Are you referring to a quarters system? Maybe the OP can tell us when their finals are.

4. Right, I get that a lot of people are doing it. Doesn't make it a great idea. Maybe OP can provide a little info on how they're doing in school so far? If they're at a 4.0 through 3 semesters and have taken a decent amount of hard science, I'm all on board with them taking it earlier.

5. Agreed, being early is TREMENDOUSLY important. If they're really against a gap year, I guess an april/may date is the latest you can push it. Not something I would do, but...I'm also on my 7th gap year. Maybe that's just me.

6. No you don't (necessarily) need ochem for biochem-- helps, but not necessary. Bigger issue is that OP will need to prioritize taking lower division MCAT "prereqs". So unless they're comfortable taking a full courseload of hard science (I wouldn't recommend it), biochem will have to wait.

Hi all,

Thanks for your input.

I am a college grad; doing a post-bacc on my own accord.
Volunteer at a major academic hospital and also work at their sister academic hospital.

So far, I've taken:

A&P I&II
Micro
Bio I
Inorganic I
Gen psych

Currently taking:

Bio II, inorganic II

GPA: 3.76

I will most likely have a 4.0 at the end of this semester which will bring my overall science up a bit.

What I have to take:

Organic I and II
Physics I and II

Would like to take: Biochem and Genetics

Hi all,

Thanks for your input.

I am a college grad; doing a post-bacc on my own accord.
Volunteer at a major academic hospital and also work at their sister academic hospital.

So far, I've taken:

A&P I&II
Micro
Bio I
Inorganic I
Gen psych

Currently taking:

Bio II, inorganic II

GPA: 3.76

I will most likely have a 4.0 at the end of this semester which will bring my overall science up a bit.

What I have to take:

Organic I and II
Physics I and II

Would like to take: Biochem and Genetics

I really don't want/would prefer not to take another "gap" year.