When should I take the MCAT!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Bob Doe

The four yonko of medicine
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my junior year of college and plan on applying to medical school this summer, therefore I need to take and prep for the MCAT, but I don't know when. I currently have two plans.

A) I originally planned on taking an MCAT prep course from April-July, take the test in July, have my scores by august and sent to the schools by august (even though this is a little late). With this plan I would be given more time to ace my spring semester courses, get my GPA up, do some extracurriculars, and work my 20 hours a week job. However I would be a bit late in the cycle and this will hurt my chances for acceptance.

Or.........

B) Now, because I feel I will be too far behind in the application cycle, I may prep for the MCAT now, while juggling my pre-med courses, working a 20 hour week job (this is a must I got to eat somehow), and doing some EC's, take the exam in May get the results in June and apply in June instead of August. Honestly it will be tough but I plan on doing this for about 4 months, so I will study little by little.

My questions for you are:
1. Which choice A or B? Maybe you could give some compromise but please try not to deviate from these 2 options.
2. How long does it take to properly study for the MCAT's? Choice A would ~7 weeks but more hours in the week, choice B would be less hours a week but more time span. How many hours per week do you suggest for choice B (keep in mind I'm taking 18 credits as well).
3. Do most pre-meds typically prep for the MCAT as they are taking spring semester courses (if so I better stop complaining)?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, both plans are pretty risky because you're going to be juggling several things that require a lot of your attention in addition to trying to study for the MCAT. Between those 2 choices that you're giving, I would go with choice A because it seems like that gives you more dedicated MCAT studying time without jeopardizing your GPA. The amount of time studying for the MCAT varies from person to person but I think the average person studies about 2-4 months before taking the test (granted you add or subtract time depending on how much you study per day and how often per week). Some pre-meds prepare for the MCAT during the school year, whereas others do it during the summer. It really depends on how much you think you can handle, but I think most people on here would suggest studying for it during the summer with minimal to no other obligations.

Reactions: 1 user
I tried B. It wasn't pretty. I was studying March-May planned to take it May but with finals and everything it got ugly quick. Ended up postponing to June. As long as you submit before the mad rush in August you should be fine. Even if you have to take the extra time out and apply late, don't worry. Schools will still look at you and still consider you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the MCAT when you're 100% ready for it, and only then.

I am in my junior year of college and plan on applying to medical school this summer, therefore I need to take and prep for the MCAT, but I don't know when. I currently have two plans.

A) I originally planned on taking an MCAT prep course from April-July, take the test in July, have my scores by august and sent to the schools by august (even though this is a little late). With this plan I would be given more time to ace my spring semester courses, get my GPA up, do some extracurriculars, and work my 20 hours a week job. However I would be a bit late in the cycle and this will hurt my chances for acceptance.

Or.........

B) Now, because I feel I will be too far behind in the application cycle, I may prep for the MCAT now, while juggling my pre-med courses, working a 20 hour week job (this is a must I got to eat somehow), and doing some EC's, take the exam in May get the results in June and apply in June instead of August. Honestly it will be tough but I plan on doing this for about 4 months, so I will study little by little.

My questions for you are:
1. Which choice A or B? Maybe you could give some compromise but please try not to deviate from these 2 options.
2. How long does it take to properly study for the MCAT's? Choice A would ~7 weeks but more hours in the week, choice B would be less hours a week but more time span. How many hours per week do you suggest for choice B (keep in mind I'm taking 18 credits as well).
3. Do most pre-meds typically prep for the MCAT as they are taking spring semester courses (if so I better stop complaining)?

Reactions: 1 users
I tried B. It wasn't pretty. I was studying March-May planned to take it May but with finals and everything it got ugly quick. Ended up postponing to June. As long as you submit before the mad rush in August you should be fine. Even if you have to take the extra time out and apply late, don't worry. Schools will still look at you and still consider you.

I originally planned on submitting my application in June when it opened (minus the MCAT of course), and take the test July and submit my scores August. What do you think of this plan?

I originally planned on submitting my application in June when it opened (minus the MCAT of course), and take the test July and submit my scores August. What do you think of this plan?
They won't process your file until it's complete. You need an MCAT for it to be complete so there's really no point.

They won't process your file until it's complete. You need an MCAT for it to be complete so there's really no point.
Well, it does take a month+ to verify your application, that's why I'm submitting in June regardless of what I choose. So my application will have been verified and when my scores come I put the icing on the cake so to speak.

Well, it does take a month+ to verify your application, that's why I'm submitting in June regardless of what I choose. So my application will have been verified and when my scores come I put the icing on the cake so to speak.
No they won't even begin to verify it until it's complete, that means your MCAT has to be in.

If I'm wrong about this someone please chime in. I swore I read that statement about 20 times on the AMCAS application.

I'm currently doing your option B right now. I started studying beginning of January and am taking my MCAT in May, along with 30 hour work week, classes, research, volunteering and shadowing here n there, and keeping a girlfriend happy. If you're determined it can work no problem (although I haven't taken my MCAT yet, so I don't really know... it just seems to be going good now).

Thank you to all who answered I've decided to go with option A. This test is important and so are my grades I need to give them both the time they deserve. I will be a little late in the application cycle but a high MCAT score should compensate.

No they won't even begin to verify it until it's complete, that means your MCAT has to be in.

If I'm wrong about this someone please chime in. I swore I read that statement about 20 times on the AMCAS application.

"Yes, AMCAS will verify and process your application without your MCAT scores. Once the scores are made available, AMCAS will upload your scores automatically into the application. If your application has already completed verification, AMCAS will send updates to the medical schools indicated in your application informing them of the update"
Straight from then horses mouth
Sigh of relief

"Yes, AMCAS will verify and process your application without your MCAT scores. Once the scores are made available, AMCAS will upload your scores automatically into the application. If your application has already completed verification, AMCAS will send updates to the medical schools indicated in your application informing them of the update"
Straight from then horses mouth
Sigh of relief
Oh then I'm thinking of the actual medical schools. I apologize. They won't look at or process your application until your MCAT is in.

Reactions: 1 user