when should i take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

siraj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
My name is siraj.I currently go to Oakland university in Michigan.I am junior right now. My GPA is 3.6. When should i take the MCAT if i wanna start med school in fall 09. I wanna take the mcat but i really dont fell ready for it. Should i wait? if i wait i will be late for med school starting on fall 09. or should i just take to see how i do in first? Please help me out. Also, should i take the MCAT prep course with kaplan. I am planning on taking it september. is that too late?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're planning on matriculating in fall 09, you should be filling out the AMCAS in the next couple of months. This also means you should have the MCAT taken by this September.

Since you're not prepared for the MCAT, it may be best for you to take this year to prepare for the MCAT, take the MCAT next spring, apply next summer, and plan on starting medical school in the fall of 2010.

I'm taking the MCAT on August 7 which is considered pretty late so I'm sure September is considered super late. I'm enrolled in a Kaplan class that lasts from June 7 to Aug 3 then I'll take the real test 4 days later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ejay I love your sig haha

And to the OP it prolly would have been beneficial to research this a bit earlier, but since you hadn't, I would suggest what armybound said.

EDIT: Look on the bright side, OP, Oakland's medical school is supposed to open in 2010 :)

Take it this summer if you can. Anything past august/september is getting too late for this (2009) application cycle. If you are really not prepared for it (and don't think you can be by August), you may be better off applying for 2010. The MCAT is definately something you want to do well on the first time around.

thak you guys for your advise