When should I take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cathleenko42

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm an undergrad Junior right now looking to enter Med School immediately following graduation. (Fall 2011) I'm trying to decide when to take the MCAT. I'm told most people take it "spring of their Junior year", but I feel that if I took it during the school year I wouldn't have time to adequately prepare, but if I put it off until June or July I will be hurting my chances at acceptance. I'm thinking about taking it in January, but I worry that might be too soon, especially since I won't have had Biochemistry yet, which I'm told is good MCAT prep.

Any advice?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone - I'm an undergrad Junior right now looking to enter Med School immediately following graduation. (Fall 2011) I'm trying to decide when to take the MCAT. I'm told most people take it "spring of their Junior year", but I feel that if I took it during the school year I wouldn't have time to adequately prepare, but if I put it off until June or July I will be hurting my chances at acceptance. I'm thinking about taking it in January, but I worry that might be too soon, especially since I won't have had Biochemistry yet, which I'm told is good MCAT prep.

Any advice?

Thank you!!

If you don't want to take it during the school year then I think your only option is taking it in January. I don't recommend taking it in June or August because you want to get applications in as early as possible. Then again, I think you'll be pressed for time if you want to write in January--unless of course you prepped hardcore over the winter break and started doing content review very soon.

Studying for the MCAT during classes, while difficult, is not unheard of by any means. Plenty of SDNners have some great success stories of taking the MCAT in March, April, and May and doing extremely well. Of course, only take the test when you think you are ready.

Also, while biochemistry is helpful, there's only a small portion of it on the MCAT (and it can easily be learned without having taken the class). The only benefit of biochem is that it's a capstone class that brings everything together and makes content review a little bit easier. It presents the big picture and fine tunes your understanding of some of the basics, in my opinion.

January is not pushing it at all in my opinion. I'm preparing for January right now, and only started getting serious about the studying about 2-3 weeks ago. Many people on here suggest only 3 months of review anyway, so it's up to you.

Hopefully I do well, and won't regret deciding to take it in January..

Taking the MCAT in June/July will not hurt you as long as you go ahead and turn in AMCAS in early June.

Schools do not start looking at the apps for the next year until that Aug usually. So, your MCAT will be there when they start looking.

I like it becaue it allows plenty of studying without classes.

Take it in January. If you don't do as well as you would like, take it again in May. Make sure you register 60 days in advance for whatever admin date you choose. I took it July 30 and I still have another secondary to do. I wanted to take it earlier but missed the chance to. Good luck!