When should I take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byaaaaaaah23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Option 1: Jan 28th, 2012. I would enroll in a TPR/Kaplan course beginning in mid-October and ending in early January. My school has a 3 week break and my spring classes start the week the MCAT class ends (Jan 9). This gives me 3 weeks to take practice tests during break, as well as 3 during spring semester. Yet I don't want to blow my grades during spring semester by neglecting classes to study for the MCAT for a few weeks at the beginning. Is it worth it to take practice tests the way it is recommended on here (ie at the same time as testing and spaced about 2-3 days apart) so far before the test? Once classes start, I would probably be able to do 1, maybe 2 practice tests a week until the exam.

Option 2: May 18th or 25th, 2012. I would enroll in a TPR/Kaplan course beginning in January and ending in early May, right after my last final. I then have 2 or 3 weeks to take practice tests before the exam. In this scenario, outside of the class & its required work, I would be focusing almost entirely on my classes/finals up until the 2/3 weeks before MCAT. Testing this date would also mean later scores (late June) which would delay my app slightly. I also don't know how being enrolled in the course would affect the grades on my finals.

Let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

Option 1

Also, it was recommended by my Kaplan instructor that you only do 1 full-length every week until the test day.

If you take the MCAT in January and do not perform well, you can retake it in March or April and still apply early with your new score.