When Should start Studying for MCAT again?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iampanic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Morning,

I will have my first two interviews in the next 7 days. These are my only II so far. I applied in September ( kind of late) I also applied to 11 more schools. In a nutshell, my status for those schools are:
2 in final reviews
1 Small pooled
1 Pool of candidates that could be selected for Interviews.
1 I have been getting emails (3 ) that said to check the website for updates, but I don't see any updates
6 I can not check status online but I have not been rejected ( maybe silent rejections )

Stats 3.84 cGPA , 3.92 sGPA 28Q MCAT 9V/10PS/9. Hispanic ( I don't know if URM since I read somewhere that only people with Mexican roots are consider URM and my family is from Central America)

I applied to schools that the average MCAT is 28-30 except for one that is 32.
When do you think I should start studying for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you're in this situation, and I hope your interviews go well and you don't end up having to retake/reapply. But you should start studying soon. It's better to spend time studying now then wait to see if you are rejected in a few months. It would be too late to start studying then. If you do get accepted, studying for the MCAT again would seem like a waste of time, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Also I think different schools will have different ideas of URM

Good luck on your interviews! Maybe not only start studying for the MCAT but work on some extracurricular's as well. As far as the MCAT though, if you want to take it may/june then start february/march so you have 3 solid months. Hopefully by then you would have heard back and you'll know if you even have to retake it, if you take it in march you'd have to start studying now but may wind up being accepted and it would be a waste.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your advices. I was thinking along the lines of Lollygag. Taking the MCAT around May and waiting the month of January to see if I get any more interviews I know that I won't probably have a decision by then so I will have to start studying. Meanwhile, I will continue working in my extracurricular activities.

Regarding obviouslyteal post, You are right. It seems that at one time that was the case but it was reversed following a court order decision.

https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/urm/

Good Morning,

I will have my first two interviews in the next 7 days. These are my only II so far. I applied in September ( kind of late) I also applied to 11 more schools. In a nutshell, my status for those schools are:
2 in final reviews
1 Small pooled
1 Pool of candidates that could be selected for Interviews.
1 I have been getting emails (3 ) that said to check the website for updates, but I don't see any updates
6 I can not check status online but I have not been rejected ( maybe silent rejections )

Stats 3.84 cGPA , 3.92 sGPA 28Q MCAT 9V/10PS/9. Hispanic ( I don't know if URM since I read somewhere that only people with Mexican roots are consider URM and my family is from Central America)

I applied to schools that the average MCAT is 28-30 except for one that is 32.
When do you think I should start studying for the MCAT?
Honestly I think that especially considering your URM status you will be fine. You have a great GPA and a 28 isn't terrible at all. We tend to think that anything below a 35 warrants a retake (lol) but the average MCAT score is 24, I think. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

If you do have a doubt in your mind, start studying right now. I am almost positive that as long as your interviews go well you will get in somewhere, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Your URM status will definitely save you a few points, though. :thumbup:

Honestly I think that especially considering your URM status you will be fine. You have a great GPA and a 28 isn't terrible at all. We tend to think that anything below a 35 warrants a retake (lol) but the average MCAT score is 24, I think. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

If you do have a doubt in your mind, start studying right now. I am almost positive that as long as your interviews go well you will get in somewhere, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Your URM status will definitely save you a few points, though. :thumbup:

No, you can't be almost positive that OP will get in somewhere. It's nice to be that optimistic, but a late application + low MCAT score hinders his application. It's great that he has 2 II's and I do hope that he ends up being accepted, but he really should start considering the worst case scenario, and prepare to retake and apply earlier next year.

Average MCAT score of people who TAKE the MCAT is around 24. That's a whole lot different from the average MCAT score of people ACCEPTED to an allopathic medical school, which is 30-31 (I think it was 31 in 2011)

No, you can't be almost positive that OP will get in somewhere. It's nice to be that optimistic, but a late application + low MCAT score hinders his application. It's great that he has 2 II's and I do hope that he ends up being accepted, but he really should start considering the worst case scenario, and prepare to retake and apply earlier next year.

Average MCAT score of people who TAKE the MCAT is around 24. That's a whole lot different from the average MCAT score of people ACCEPTED to an allopathic medical school, which is 30-31 (I think it was 31 in 2011)

Ohhh I didn't see that OP applied late. And thank you for clarifying that; I knew that something didn't sound right.

But yeah, optimism all the way!!!!! :D I guess you could call it defensive optimism, still being positive but covering all your bases at the same time.

I can't really respond to your original question but I can definitely say that Hispanics not of Mexican ancestry are definitely still considered URM. I don't know where you read what you did but it's certainly not true. Hispanics as a whole, whether from Mexico, Central and South America or the Carribean are underrepresented in medicine.

Definitely not true. I believe it's only Mexicans and Puerto Ricans. It's only certain areas that other Hispanics would be considered URM

http://206.82.221.135/showthread.php?p=12483303

This has been talked about ad nauseam

Thank you all for your help. SDN was really a big help and a pick me up when I was feeling down. I was accepted from my interview that I had this month. I can finally said

Accepted Class 2017

Thank you all for your help. SDN was really a big help and a pick me up when I was feeling down. I was accepted from my interview that I had this month. I can finally said

Accepted Class 2017

Congrats! Now all you have to do is enjoy the next 6 months as much as humanly possible :thumbup:

Nevermind.

Accepted Class 2017

Congrats!

Accepted Class 2017

Congrats! Just relax from now on. You deserve it.

Thank you all for your help. SDN was really a big help and a pick me up when I was feeling down. I was accepted from my interview that I had this month. I can finally say

Accepted Class 2017

Congrats! :clap:

Fixed that grammar for you :D