When should you take legal action or just suck it up and move on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
mysophobe said:
Eponyms...hurting...brain....

ok well to put it simply...i think he's an alcoholic. now replace "think" with the words "am positive". and also don't forget to replace " he's " with the more correct term of " i'm ". ;)

:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Annette said:
Despite what BKN advised, I would look for a lawyer. Not to sue, but to help see what your options are. Just don't tell anyone that you have hired a lawyer. You have invested way too much time and money to this career to quit without putting up some kind of fight.

I would agree. It is especially important that you don't let anyone know that you've talked to a lawyer or all goodwill will be lost. If the program did something illegal and you have the evidence, then that's different. Tread carefully. Remember that the first instinct of a good lawyer is to look for a fight, so you have to hold them back.

KluverBucy said:
ok well to put it simply...i think he's an alcoholic. now replace "think" with the words "am positive". and also don't forget to replace " he's " with the more correct term of " i'm ". ;)

:laugh:

:rolleyes:

Annette said:
Despite what BKN advised, I would look for a lawyer. Not to sue, but to help see what your options are. Just don't tell anyone that you have hired a lawyer. You have invested way too much time and money to this career to quit without putting up some kind of fight.

Would the program director help you look for a different residency? You say that you don't think you picked the right specialty. Maybe you program director would agree, and be willing to help you get into another residency. Were there other faculty who were supportive of you? Will they help you look for a different residency? You could also talk to the medical education department (that oversees all the residency programs).

Don't be defensive, though. The natural instincts of people in medicine are to help (usually). If you start blaming the program director for anything, you will lose any goodwill you may have developed.

As for insurance/sleep study, see if you can't be put under cobra. I think you have so many days after you leave to enroll. It may be somewhat expensive, but you can get the sleep study done to help support your case.

Good luck with all this. I know you are probably feeling like crap right now, but you have to pick yourself up. No one else will do it, and the longer you delay, the harder it will be.

Several weeks ago I tried to get some leads and referrals from the department but the PD and my advisor said they did not know of anything. I have not been able to get a letter from the PD yet. I will try again. As far a cobra – it was so expensive (about $500 a month) that I felt I could not afford it and am without insurance. My hesitancy in contacting a lawyer was some of the points you brought up. I do not want to lose any goodwill I may have since I do want to work in another residency and the support of my previous PD will be helpful. But I have had a chance to read over some things that were said by one or two individuals that were false or distorted to the point they misrepresented what happened. It has been rather frustrating contacting programs and getting nowhere. But I will keep trying. I am hoping to get a chance to show what I can do and my dedication but I need that opportunity.