When to apply for dental school if I’m doing post bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lssnghm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m a bit concerned about what to do after I graduate this spring. My cGPA was around a 3.2 at the end of last fall semester and I’m sure my sGPA is closer to a 3.0 and I recently scored a 23 on my DAT. I’m already set on doing a post bac but I also have a few people telling me to also apply for this year’s coming cycle. My EC’s aren’t that great. I’ve done different kinds of health field related volunteering, was involved in my school’s fashion magazine, worked in the chemistry stockroom, and 1 year of research in an immunology lab. I also have ~100 hours of shadowing.

Would it be smarter for me to wait until I’ve settled in to my post-bac, wait for fall semester grades, and then apply or to just get everything over with in the summer and let them know my intentions of completing a post-bac? Is it realistic for me to hope to head straight into dental school right after my gap year...or will I probably have to take two years off and apply after I complete the post-bac?

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked already

Members don't see this ad.

I had almost the EXACT same stats and ECs and I got in this cycle, but only to 1 private school

I had almost the EXACT same stats and ECs and I got in this cycle, but only to 1 private school
Do you mind tell me where you applied? Or to how many schools? I have similar stats and I’m applying in june

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd personally save my money and try to raise my GPA if I were in your shoes.

Do you mind tell me where you applied? Or to how many schools? I have similar stats and I’m applying in june
I applied to 15 schools mostly private, got interviews at UNE and MOSDOH, waitlisted at UNE and accepted to MOSDOH