When to apply for dental school if I’m doing post bac?

Started by lssnghm
Tags Tags
post bacc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

lssnghm

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I’m a bit concerned about what to do after I graduate this spring. My cGPA was around a 3.2 at the end of last fall semester and I’m sure my sGPA is closer to a 3.0 and I recently scored a 23 on my DAT. I’m already set on doing a post bac but I also have a few people telling me to also apply for this year’s coming cycle. My EC’s aren’t that great. I’ve done different kinds of health field related volunteering, was involved in my school’s fashion magazine, worked in the chemistry stockroom, and 1 year of research in an immunology lab. I also have ~100 hours of shadowing.

Would it be smarter for me to wait until I’ve settled in to my post-bac, wait for fall semester grades, and then apply or to just get everything over with in the summer and let them know my intentions of completing a post-bac? Is it realistic for me to hope to head straight into dental school right after my gap year...or will I probably have to take two years off and apply after I complete the post-bac?

Thanks and sorry if this has been asked already
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad