When to apply for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krystal0624

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am new to the forum! I am indecisive of when to apply to dental school simply because I don't want to apply late one term or have to take a gap year. I am currently a sophomore and began taking science classes at the beginning of the term. I am taking Bio 2 and Chem 2 this semester. I am, compared to the traditional applicant, a year behind in my sciences. Any advice would be great. Other info: I have been a dental assistant since junior year of high school and am currently registered with the board. I graduated from high school in 2009 and was #6 in my class. I state all this just in case any of you can relate or have gone through the same thing. Thank you soooo much! :)

Members don't see this ad.

The application cycle usually begins the first week of June...from what I recall the application came out on June 1st and I submitted my application on June 10th...

Basically there are two rounds of interviews, those who submit their application from about June through August are considered "early" and receive interviews from September until November...and will usually start receiving acceptances as early as December 1st...

Those who submit after August usually receive interviews in January and February...because admissions works on a rolling basis, those who interview later have a smaller chance of getting accepted to most schools since there are fewer spots available...

Thus I strongly recommend submitting the app in June or July (August may be cutting it close) to ensure that you are an early applicant and have a chance at getting accepted on December 1st...hope this helps

The application cycle usually begins the first week of June...from what I recall the application came out on June 1st and I submitted my application on June 10th...

Basically there are two rounds of interviews, those who submit their application from about June through August are considered "early" and receive interviews from September until November...and will usually start receiving acceptances as early as December 1st...

Those who submit after August usually receive interviews in January and February...because admissions works on a rolling basis, those who interview later have a smaller chance of getting accepted to most schools since there are fewer spots available...

Thus I strongly recommend submitting the app in June or July (August may be cutting it close) to ensure that you are an early applicant and have a chance at getting accepted on December 1st...hope this helps

Yes, I will take the DAT April and send it off in June... thank you soo much!