When to apply for medical license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

epiepishockMD

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be a Senior Resident in July. When is too early to apply for a medical license? I am 99.99999999% sure I want to move back to my home state.

Also same question for DEA license.

I'm "churning" points on a new credit card and need to spend some money.

Any downsides besides that the one year I have the medical license while i'm a pgy3 is essential useless and wasted.
 
Check your state laws as well, as to when licenses expire.

IL (for example), all licenses expire the same year every 3 years. That means they expire 2017, 2020, 2023, etc. It will cost you the same to get one today that lasts three years as to get one in a year that lasts two.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be a Senior Resident in July. When is too early to apply for a medical license? I am 99.99999999% sure I want to move back to my home state.

Also same question for DEA license.

I'm "churning" points on a new credit card and need to spend some money.

Any downsides besides that the one year I have the medical license while i'm a pgy3 is essential useless and wasted.

Apply as soon as you get the job. Only reason why I'd wait for that moment is because licenses and DEAs are expensive, so you don't want to get one that you're not going to use. No reason to wait after you've signed a contract, though. Some states take forever. FCVS, if you're using it, takes forever.
 
Another reason to wait is that if you get sued in residency, it's better not to have a license during that time. At least that's what I am told. So enjoy practicing using someone else's license while you can!

But, the other major reason to wait is that it costs a lot and only lasts 1-2 years, so might as well wait till you have to get it. If you moonlight then it will of course be earlier than others.
 
fwiw my employer paid for my licensing and DEA

Yes, but even still, will they pay for you when you have to re-up it? If they are going to pay for it, might as well get your bang for the buck and get it at the last possible moment.