When to apply for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gcuvier

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN Community,

I'll be graduating May of 2019 and plan on taking two gap years. I'll be taking the MCAT that summer. When should I apply for medical school given I'd like two years off? Please advise.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN Community,

I'll be graduating May of 2019 and plan on taking two gap years. I'll be taking the MCAT that summer. When should I apply for medical school given I'd like two years off? Please advise.

Thanks!

If you graduate in May of 2019, then you'll want to submit your primary AMCAS application June 1, 2020, which means you'd be in the 2020-2021 application cycle, with plans to matriculate in Fall 2021, assuming you get accepted in the first round.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this a trick question? Apply when you are ready and your application is as good as it is going to be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi SDN Community,

Thanks!

Following your current timeline, you should apply during the 2020-2021 cycle. Keep in mind that MCAT scores are considered "expired" by most schools after three years - so worst case scenario is that you fail to find fortune in the first and second application attempts and will need to retake the MCAT.

Following your current timeline, you should apply during the 2020-2021 cycle. Keep in mind that MCAT scores are considered "expired" by most schools after three years - so worst case scenario is that you fail to find fortune in the first and second application attempts and will need to retake the MCAT.
How about opting for one year off? Would I be able to apply in 2019 given my timeline?

How about opting for one year off? Would I be able to apply in 2019 given my timeline?

We know nothing about your application to suggest whether you are ready to apply with 1 year off, 2 years off, or no years off. However, generally, you want to apply as early as possible. If you aren't taking the MCAT until next summer that could delay your application if you choose to apply in 2019. But we need more info to properly advise. Feel free to PM if you want.