When to apply?

Started by huknows00
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

huknows00

huknows00
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I'm a rising Junior at Penn BE and am interested in doing a md/phd program after graduation. I heard from my advisor that most people take a year or two off after getting their BS before applying. I am thinking about applying the summer after my Junior year, for the Fall 2006 class. Is that too early?

I assume the reason you would take off a year or two is to get more research experience. So here is what I have and will have, can you guys please give me an idea if it's enough or will I have to do another year of post-bach research:

Junior in HS to Freshman Undergrad (2 summers and a school year) - in a biochemistry lab student program, mentoring student program and neuroscience research.

Freshman Summer to Soph summer (2 summers and a school year) - neuropsychiatry lab working with radiology, have 1 third author publication and will have 1 or more hopefully first author publications.

Soph summer to end of senior year (1 summer and 2 years) - working in a tissue engineering lab. Hopefully will have some abstracts and a few second author publication.

Keep in mind I will be applying end of Junior year, will I be ready?

Thanks so much!
 
I think you're fine on research experience. Keep up the good work.

Still, I have to be curious, whose labs are these? Who's your advisor? I ask because I'm a BE MD/PhD student at Penn. You can PM me if you want 🙂