When to apply?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by old_one, Apr 4, 2001.

1. old_one

old_one Member

It's the beginning of April. I'm taking the MCATS in August and haven't started to study yet.

I figure if I start now, that's plenty of time, but I don't want to take any time away from studying by applying to schools from now until August.

Will I be late if I start sending out applications in August 2001 for the incoming class of 2002?

ALSO, if the schools do NOT practice rolling admissions and make their decision at a specific deadline (instead of "first come, first server"), does it even MATTER when you apply (as long as, of course, you beat the application deadline) ?

[This message has been edited by old_one (edited April 04, 2001).]

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GreatPumpkin

GreatPumpkin Mystical Treatbringer

Non-Student
    If you are a boarderline applicant, I personally believe it is a big mistake to apply late. The admissions tend to tighten up toward the end of the year. The ADCOM member that I talked to the first year I applied and failed, told me that had I applied earlier in the year I would have been in. If you are a very strong applicant this probably is not as important.

------------------
    Rob
    http://views.vcu.edu/medimf/rob/greatpumpkin.shtml

[This message has been edited by GreatPumpkin (edited April 04, 2001).]

4. old_one

old_one Member

Thanks for your response. I checked out your website....cool jeep!

"The admissions tend to tighten up toward the end of the year."

Even if it's not a rolling admissions school??

BTW, is giving myself four months to study for the MCATS the average amount of time most students study???? Does anyone have a feel for the number of months spent preparing by most students?

5. GreatPumpkin

Non-Student
    Thanks for the Jeep complement. I am so happy to finally have it. Much better than my old stationwagon. [​IMG]

As far as schools go that don't have rolling admission, I don't know if my exp. applies, I would think that if they didn't make any decisions until they have all the applications it wouldn't matter when you applied.

I studied for about one month, and it was not long enough. I definately underestimated the difficulty and the importance of the MCAT.

6. Pathologist

Pathologist Senior Member

Hey, cool website, Great Pumpkin. VCU's path department is awesome. =)

7. Medigirl

Medigirl Member

Apply as early as possible (June). The earlier the better.

8. GreatPumpkin

Non-Student
    Thank you pathologist.

VCU/MCVs path department is awesome. And, this year we will move into a brand new building. It is going to be so sweet.

Where are you going for residency or where do you want to go?