When to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onedayatatime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I messed up...
I decided to take it slow and only take Orgo II this semester since I wanted to keep working. Unfortunately, that will put me behind as far as when I can apply to med school (I still haven't completed any Physics). I know that there is no way to take the MCAT without having these courses under my belt.

My questions are: Should I take the Physics sequence as part of an extension program while currently taking Orgo as part of a postbacc program so that I am able to take the MCAT and apply this year? (This would make me ineligible for a committee letter from the school at which I am a postbacc.) Or, should I suck it up and wait another year? Does it also look "bad" that I am only taking one class? I don't want to wait any longer and fear that I actually may have made a bad decision to take things more slowly.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I messed up...
I decided to take it slow and only take Orgo II this semester since I wanted to keep working. Unfortunately, that will put me behind as far as when I can apply to med school (I still haven't completed any Physics). I know that there is no way to take the MCAT without having these courses under my belt.

My questions are: Should I take the Physics sequence as part of an extension program while currently taking Orgo as part of a postbacc program so that I am able to take the MCAT and apply this year? (This would make me ineligible for a committee letter from the school at which I am a postbacc.) Or, should I suck it up and wait another year? Does it also look "bad" that I am only taking one class? I don't want to wait any longer and fear that I actually may have made a bad decision to take things more slowly.

Do realize that the MCAT is going to be offered 22 times beginning in January. We have a podcast on this site (produced by yours truly) that covers the changes in the MCAT and what to expect. In a nutshell, since there are so many dates now, you can tailor your MCAT scheduling to when you will be best prepared. Have a listen to the podcast found here: http://img.studentdoctor.net/podcasts/20060913sdn.mp3
and a look at the MCAT schedule available from their site. Figure out which date will be the best for you so that you can get optimum prep.

I also suspect that many medical school deadlines are going to change because of the now 22 dates for MCAT test administration rather than April or August.

Also remember that if you are working, you are expected to take a lighter courseload. Taking only one couse at a time if you are employed is a wise move and will not incur penalty unless you do poorly in the course. The worst thing you can do is take too many courses and wind up doing poorly because you are under the mistaken notion that you "have to impress the admissions committee" with your course workload. Excellent grades are most impressive not hours of mediocre work.

If you are a non-traditional student, you are likely going to NEED your salary in order to live indoors and eat. Do well in your coursework and take your time. There is no age limit on application to medical school and acceptance as long as you have quality academics. :)