When to consider retaking the MCAT and reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mattorama

Walk Unafraid
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

seems like your application is good since you received an interview. maybe you should send a letter of intent to your state school if you haven't already.

if you do have to reapply, retake the mcat if you can improve at least 2-3 pts. if you feel unprepared for april, there's always august. also, i STRONGLY recommend applying to a range of schools (as many as you are comfortable with and able/willing to afford). that's probably what's holding you back now.

but to answer your question, i decided to retake the mcat and reapply immediately after receiving my first score (which wasn't as good as your 28 :)).

concentrate mainly on physical sciences - you already have 10s on the other sections, so you're fine there. seriously, don't stress about getting that golden 30 - just get the 8 up. I think PS is the section where studying pays off the most anyway.

as long as you have that strong upward trend - that 3.57 is totally fine. I agree with the previous post-only applying to 2 schools is a killer. I'd put my $ on you if you applied again to say, 15 well-chosen schools. BUT send the letter of intent to that state school you haven't heard from - which school is it anyway? If it's a UC, then it'll be rough....if it's a SUNY, then it'll be hard...if it's like an ohio state or a uconn, then you'll have slightly less competition since you're the state resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, with your stats I don't see why you wouldn't get in. Have you called the admission's dept to check on your application status. you can email or call them. You can tell them you are still very interested in attending their school. Have you done anything new since your interview? You said you graduated, so did you send them your new grades? YOu should if you haven't already.

Is it too late to add new schools to your application? I would add some more to your AMCAS app if it isn't too late.

I am also wondering about your clinical experiences. Working as a special ed aide is great and is a plus, but have you done anything in the medical field. Maybe that is part of your application is lacking.

Good luck. I hope you hear good news really soon.

It's too late to add any more schools to your AMCAS now.

The MSAR (Medical School Admissions Requirements book) show these stats for IU for IN-STATE applicants:
Applicants: 531
Interviewed: 460
Entrants: 254 (BUT keep in mind, the ACCEPTED number can be even higher!)

According to these stats, you have well over a 50% chance if you were interviewed...meaning that if this were a poker match, I'd advise you to go all in and let the cards fall as they may.

I hear of a lot of people who get in by being persistent, by calling the dean of admissions, by writing a letter of intent (specifically stating that you would DEFINITELY attend their school if you were accepted), and whatever other tricks you may have down your sleeve. Point is, I would seriously envy someone who applied to only 2 schools and spent less than a hundred bucks on this dreadful application process (I spent about ten times that much on my apps:)...and got in in the end.

I was in a position similar to yours last year. I got a 28 on my MCAT after not studying much and interviewed at my state school. I knew that my score wasn't great, but didn't want to retake the MCAT if it wasn't necessary. I found out that I was at the bottom of the waitlist at the end of March and was very upset, but spent the summer studying for the Aug. MCAT and got my score up 5 points! I was much more determined the second time around.

This year, I have been accepted at my state school and everything has worked out for the best. I really don't think taking the Aug MCAT hurt me in the admissions process. If you get in this year, congratulations! If not, don't worry about it at all. Spending more time studying definitely will improve your score and you will get in next time. You can keep working with disabled kids, which will show that you are determined to enter medicine. But if I were you, I wouldn't waste my time studying for the April MCAT if it isn't absolutely necessary. Good luck!

I made it in!!!

...what a weight off of my shoulders

Best of luck to all!:D :D :D :D