When to contact school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maple

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

So I was hoping to get some opinions on when it would be okay to contact schools about application status..This applies mostly to the East Coast schools..particularly in New York etc...

What do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

I contacted one today...

just make sure you write the appropriate well wishes and how a tragic event it was. How you hope everyone is fine, but also in the email write and say something to the effect of whenever you have the time please inform me on the status of application....

I contacted one today...

just make sure you write the appropriate well wishes and how a tragic event it was. How you hope everyone is fine, but also in the email write and say something to the effect of whenever you have the time please inform me on the status of application....

Hey,

I assume that your quote means writing a letter. I am going to, however, call the school. One of the schools that I have interviewed at said they were going to notify me in 4-6 weeks from the date of my interview. On this coming Monday, it will have been 8 weeks. Thus, my question is: a) Should I contact them? b) If I should, what is the most appropriate way to contact them: phone, email, letter, etc.?

Plus, I was wondering what this long wait means for me in terms of the decision. I have heard from other people that if you interviewed and that if the school knows that they are going to reject you, the letter comes sooner rather than later. However, if the school has not yet made a decision for the longest while, then there is a chance that an acceptance or an alternate list decision is in the works. Is this at all true? I want to get thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^ The post you replied to is from 2001 (???).

Sweet dancing Moses: you replied to a post so old that the OP was asking how long after September 11th she needed to wait before she could go back to hasseling New York schools about her application.

Also I'd like everyone to notice that the OP waited 3 whole DAYS after 9-11 to ask the question.

Good to know that SDN was still classy, way back then.

Hey,

I assume that your quote means writing a letter. I am going to, however, call the school. One of the schools that I have interviewed at said they were going to notify me in 4-6 weeks from the date of my interview. On this coming Monday, it will have been 8 weeks. Thus, my question is: a) Should I contact them? b) If I should, what is the most appropriate way to contact them: phone, email, letter, etc.?

Plus, I was wondering what this long wait means for me in terms of the decision. I have heard from other people that if you interviewed and that if the school knows that they are going to reject you, the letter comes sooner rather than later. However, if the school has not yet made a decision for the longest while, then there is a chance that an acceptance or an alternate list decision is in the works. Is this at all true? I want to get thoughts on this.

SDN was only two years old yet when this thread was created. It just celebrated it's eighth anniversary. The "pre-med" OP is a resident today, somewhere out there. WOW.