When to dilute IV meds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm completely open to learning about some veterinary medicine. It's why I read this forum. It was my fathers passion, and from a young age of helping him sew our hog dogs back up after a hunt, or giving our animals ivomectin, etc it brings back good childhood memories. I wish he was still alive so I could ask him. He never became a vet but was very knowledgeable with a bachelors in ag and a bachelors in microbiology.

Why wouldn't you ask a VET?

Layman's knowledge =/= 4 years of veterinary school.

OP, as has been stated repeatedly, you shouldn't be diluting meds (or doing anything to them) without explicit orders by the ordering DVM.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Why wouldn't you ask a VET?

Layman's knowledge =/= 4 years of veterinary school.

OP, as has been stated repeatedly, you shouldn't be diluting meds (or doing anything to them) without explicit orders by the ordering DVM.
I would. I would like to volunteer at a vet clinic, but I've read on here of people doing so and it having negative repercussions with ADCOMs.

This was back before my dad died not long before I finished my military contract in 2012. Hadn't even considered nursing or medical school at that point because all I heard from everyone is how it was so hard to get accepted, not to even bother trying. "You have to know someone to get in" or "if you don't have a 4.0 you'll never get in". Plus my family didn't believe in borrowing money, and I didn't realize you could take student loans for hundreds of thousands of dollars and I thought people paid for school out of pocket. Pretty much had everyone talk me out of it. Being difficult to get into definitely wasn't the case for nursing. I also did not know GI bill paid for med school or I wouldn't have wasted so much on nursing school. Thankfully I still have some left.

Last edited:
I'm completely open to learning about some veterinary medicine. It's why I read this forum. It was my fathers passion, and from a young age of helping him sew our hog dogs back up after a hunt, or giving our animals ivomectin, etc it brings back good childhood memories. I wish he was still alive so I could ask him. He never became a vet but was very knowledgeable with a bachelors in ag and a bachelors in microbiology.

Sewing up your own pets is completely inappropriate. Giving straight ivermectin (Ivomec is a brand name, ivermectin is the drug name) is also not an appropriate treatment or prevention method (minus a few conditions). He wasn't "knowledgeable" he just did whatever he wanted and acted as if he knew what he was doing.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sewing up your own pets is completely inappropriate. Giving straight ivermectin (Ivomec is a brand name, ivermectin is the drug name) is also not an appropriate treatment or prevention method (minus a few conditions). He wasn't "knowledgeable" he just did whatever he wanted and acted as if he knew what he was doing.
How many times do you think we could afford to have them sewed up at the vets office? And these weren't pets, they were working dogs. He did a great job at it. After dealing with livestock for over 40 years you tend to learn a little something. He broke horses for a living in his younger years, and was one of the few people I ever knew who was skilled at horticulture to the point to where they could graft trees reliably. I always took that for granted growing up, and didn't realize how gifted he was. Raised horses, donkeys, cattle, hog, chickens, turkeys, and mostly goats.
IMG_3608.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_3606.JPG
IMG_3607.JPG

Last edited:
How many times do you think we could afford to have them sewed up at the vets office? He did a great job at it. After dealing with livestock for over 40 years you tend to learn a little something. He broke horses for a living in his younger years, and was one of the few people I ever knew who was skilled at horticulture to the point to where they could graft trees reliably. I always took that for granted growing up, and didn't realize how gifted he was. Raised horses, donkeys, cattle, hog, chickens, turkeys, and mostly goats.
Lack of funds to get your animals cared for appropriately by a trained professional who could have provided them with pain relief and proper wound management doesn't mean that stitching them up yourselves was even remotely appropriate. Do you know how common it is for animals to present with absolutely horrendous health problems caused by owners trying to manage issues themselves? This includes tetanus from wounds that should have been managed without suturing at all that were sutured shut by owners who thought they knew what they were doing.

I work in animal care and control and we have filed animal cruelty charges against people for doing some of the things you describe here. I sincerely hope you don't continue to treat the animals you own now in the same way.

You learn a lot of things from working with livestock and from working in agriculture - but you absolutely do not learn veterinary medicine, and it is insulting for you to imply that learning "a little something" even remotely applies to the scope of the field. It's like me suggesting that 40 years of being a parent would qualify me to be a NICU nurse - because hey, I learned a little something from having kids.

How many times do you think we could afford to have them sewed up at the vets office? And these weren't pets, they were working dogs. He did a great job at it. After dealing with livestock for over 40 years you tend to learn a little something. He broke horses for a living in his younger years, and was one of the few people I ever knew who was skilled at horticulture to the point to where they could graft trees reliably. I always took that for granted growing up, and didn't realize how gifted he was. Raised horses, donkeys, cattle, hog, chickens, turkeys, and mostly goats.
View attachment 234646 View attachment 234641 View attachment 234642 View attachment 234643 View attachment 234644

If you can't afford a pet, you don't own it.

That's why even as a vet I own a single cat. I can't afford more than that. It is quite simple.

Just because he could sew up a dog doesn't mean it was appropriate or that he is "knowledgeable". It isn't appropriate and borderlines on cruelty to stitch up an awake dog with little to no pain control. Not having money isn't an excuse to do painful procedures on your pets.

Reactions: 3 users
If you can't afford a pet, you don't own it.

That's why even as a vet I own a single cat. I can't afford more than that. It is quite simple.

Just because he could sew up a dog doesn't mean it was appropriate or that he is "knowledgeable". It isn't appropriate and borderlines on cruelty to stitch up an awake dog with little to no pain control. Not having money isn't an excuse to do painful procedures on your pets.
It was definitely necessary. When you have a hog backed up into a brush pile, and your catch dogs are trying to latch on, those tusks can do some serious damage.

I don't run dogs anymore. I'm too busy working as an ICU nurse, and had to move to the big city and I have left my farm in the care of my mother and her boyfriend. I barely get to hunt, and when I do it's squirrel, rabbit, maybe a coon here or there. Only went a couple times this last year. Farming is something I want to get back to one day, but it's just too much for me to manage right now. Another thing I never appreciated about my dad until he was dead. A 200 acre farm is more work than you can imagine.

It's the way I was brought up. My dad had me suture his arm one day when he was yanking some vines down with a brush knife and it slipped and hacked through his left forearm. I was only 8 and scared to death but he guided me through it. Was deep for about an inch, and the rest was more superficial. The whole cut was maybe 3-4 inches long We boiled the needle in a pot on the stove, and he didn't get an infection or anything. And I guess he figured if he could manage the pain, a hardy working dog that can fight a hog could bear the pain from a needle. They didn't even flinch. He didn't believe in pain medicine and didn't drink either.

Last edited:
It was definitely necessary. When you have a hog backed up into a brush pile, and your catch dogs are trying to latch on, those tusks can do some serious damage.

It's the way I was brought up. My dad had me suture his arm one day when he was yanking some vines down with a brush knife and it slipped and hacked through his left forearm. I was only 8 and scared to death but he guided me through it. Was deep about an inch, and the rest was more superficial. We boiled the needle in a pot on the stove, and he didn't get an infection or anything.

This is horrifying, and as someone in healthcare, I’d hope you’d realize that.

Wound infections are a very real problem and oftentimes people think a wound should be sutured and covered when in fact, that’s not the right choice at all.

There’s a reason medical school and veterinary school are so difficult and long - because it takes a lot of training to be able to make the decisions like “hm, should this heal by second intention or do I need to suture it, and what suture material and pattern do I want to use?”

Sounds like you’ve gotten lucky a lot, but doesn’t mean it was the right way to do it.

Edited to add that not giving an animal pain medicine for the situation you described is cruel.

This is horrifying, and as someone in healthcare, I’d hope you’d realize that.

Wound infections are a very real problem and oftentimes people think a wound should be sutured and covered when in fact, that’s not the right choice at all.

There’s a reason medical school and veterinary school are so difficult and long - because it takes a lot of training to be able to make the decisions like “hm, should this heal by second intention or do I need to suture it, and what suture material and pattern do I want to use?”

Sounds like you’ve gotten lucky a lot, but doesn’t mean it was the right way to do it.
Growing up poor in the country, you make things work the best way you know how. Im no longer poor, I saved every penny from the Army, the farm has made a profit, plus I've put away plenty as a nurse. But my dad made maybe 35,000 a year as a radtech and we struggled to make ends meet. Mom was epileptic and couldn't work. Never ate a non homecooked meal until I was in my teens. We would either hunt coon, squirrel, rabbit, or possum, or go to a salvage store and buy like 50 pounds of ground meat at a time and store it in the deep freeze. Couldn't afford to do it otherwise. Mainly had chickens for the eggs but we did eat them occasionally. Mostly old roosters.

Growing up poor in the country, you make things work the best way you know how. Im no longer poor, I saved every penny from the Army, the farm has made a profit, plus I've put away plenty as a nurse. But my dad made maybe 35,000 a year as a radtech and we struggled to make ends meet. Mom was epileptic and couldn't work. Never ate a non homecooked meal until I was in my teens. We would either hunt coon, squirrel, rabbit, or possum, or go to a salvage store and buy like 50 pounds of ground meat at a time and store it in the deep freeze. Couldn't afford to do it otherwise. Mainly had chickens for the eggs but we did eat them occasionally. Mostly old roosters.

That is no justification for improperly caring for animals. If you can’t afford them, don’t have them. Sorry.

You’re going to be hard pressed to convince members of a profession devoted to animal health care that self administered back yard medicine by someone with no training is acceptable.

We fully realize it happens, but it’s not acceptable medicine.

Reactions: 6 users
As a nurse, I would hope to convince an old timer to come to the ER to be stitched as well but I realize in the backwoods it's going to happen, like you say. Country life is different than city life. One of the last memories with my dad was having to put down 4 blue tick hound hunting dogs because they were slaughtering our goats. Killed 5 of them, and we couldn't find the rest. They weren't even eating them, just kill one, go on to the next, kill that one, go to the next etc. We were worried they had already killed the rest. Thankfully they ran and hid in the woods layin in brushpiles under the trees and the dogs were trying to track them down. After we took care of the situation, we called the cops, explained it to them, and called the owner. I know city folk would probably have a heart attack over that, but we had to defend our livestock. With austere situations you make things work however you can. Now when I go back to farming, I plan on being able to afford to do things more professionally because by then I will be an MD/DO, but I understand my fathers reasoning. He grew up in a tough time. They fought pitts growing up, and if a hunting dog couldn't hunt they shot it on the spot. Times were very hard in Louisiana during the 50s. Times change.

Just a literal cultural info- we had cock fights at school when I was growing up, until it was made illegal in Louisiana oh, maybe 10 years ago at most? We watched them all the time.

As a nurse, I would hope to convince an old timer to come to the ER to be stitched as well but I realize in the backwoods it's going to happen, like you say. Country life is different than city life. One of the last memories with my dad was having to put down 4 blue tick hound hunting dogs because they were slaughtering our goats. Killed 5 of them, and we couldn't find the rest. They weren't even eating them, just kill one, go on to the next, kill that one, go to the next etc. We were worried they had already killed the rest. Thankfully they ran and hid in the woods layin in brushpiles under the trees and the dogs were trying to track them down. After we took care of the situation, we called the cops, explained it to them, and called the owner. I know city folk would probably have a heart attack over that, but we had to defend our livestock. With austere situations you make things work however you can. Now when I go back to farming, I plan on being able to afford to do things more professionally because by then I will be an MD/DO, but I understand my fathers reasoning. He grew up in a tough time. They fought pitts growing up, and if a hunting dog couldn't hunt they shot it on the spot. Times were very hard in Louisiana during the 50s. Times change.

Just a literal cultural info- we had cock fights at school when I was growing up, until it was made illegal in Louisiana oh, maybe 10 years ago at most? We watched them all the time.

Fighting dogs is illegal. So your dad lived beyond his means. He CHOSE to own a farm, he didn't have to. Don't have the money to properly own and run a farm don't have one. I really don't have sympathy for those who do things knowing they are wrong and knowing they can't afford it.

I just told my own sister off for doing exactly the above. She can't afford pets, yet just got another one.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Fighting dogs is illegal. So your dad lived beyond his means. He CHOSE to own a farm, he didn't have to. Don't have the money to properly own and run a farm don't have one. I really don't have sympathy for those who do things knowing they are wrong and knowing they can't afford it.

I just told my own sister off for doing exactly the above. She can't afford pets, yet just got another one.
It wasn't illegal until 1976 or about that time. He wasn't fighting dogs by then. Probably in the 50s-mid 60s at most.

They didn't view it as wrong. That's the point I'm making. His father did it before him, and his father before him. My great grandpa Ceeb was known as a master pig sticker in Washington Parish back in the early 1900s. People came from all over to have him stick and butcher their hogs for them.

It's like cock fighting. It's totally illegal now, but not when I was in high school. The ag department used to fight them all the time. Many kids in my hometown raised fighting roosters growing up. Times change. Hell one day hunting will be outlawed for being inhumane.

Ironically claiming the animal is a hog dog is a very common cover explanation for dog fighting operations.

I can't figure this person out.

'I'm an RN becoming an MD, hear me roar! I know sooo much about medicine that I feel qualified to tell a vet assistant how to administer drugs via an online forum and will make underhanded insults about veterinary care.'

but also

'I grew up country so I will defend keeping animals and putting them through painful and dangerous procedures in a backyard, because country. '

Make up your mind. Clearly you "don't understand vet care."

Also, BS on the whole 'country livin'' bit. Seriously, can it. I live in a rural area and the farmers I know out there have no qualms about taking their animals to a vet/calling the LA vet. They make damn sure they have a small amount set aside for those animals because they are so important to their daily work (and that's just the dogs/horses, don't get me started on the food animals they raise). Don't use the 'simple country life' excuse for treating animals poorly, it's a very tired excuse and a stereotype that many people in my life feel the stigma of.

I can't figure this person out.

'I'm an RN becoming an MD, hear me roar! I know so00 much about medicine that I feel qualified to tell a vet assistant how to administer drugs via an online forum and will make underhanded insults about veterinary care.'

but also

'I grew up country so I think it's perfectly acceptable to keep animals and put them through painful and dangerous procedures in a backyard, because country.'

Make up your mind. Clearly you "don't understand vet care."

Also, BS on the whole 'country livin'' bit. Seriously, can it. I live in a rural area and the farmers I know out there have no qualms about taking their animals to a vet/calling the LA vet. They make damn sure they have a small amount set aside for those animals because they are so important to their daily work (and that's just the dogs/horses, don't get me started on the food animals they raise). Don't use the 'simple country life' excuse for treating animals poorly, it's a very tired excuse and a stereotype that many people in my life feel the stigma of.
I never claimed to know about vet care. And you seriously think hog hunters call a vet every time a dog gets ripped open by a hog tusk? What world do you live in? That would be so expensive NOONE could afford it. My father did call the vet if he had a situation he didn't feel like he could handle. But he had probably sutured hundreds of hog dogs in his lifetime. The times I remember him calling were usually about the horses.

I never claimed to know about vet care. And you seriously thing hog hunters call a vet every time a dog gets ripped open by a hog tusk? What world do you live in? That would be so expensive NOONE could afford it. My father did call the vet if he had a situation he didn't feel like he could handle. But he had probably sutured hundreds of hog dogs in his lifetime.
It does not matter he could. Should he of? Should hunters and farmers do their own suturing? No. It’s cruel to suture an animal without adequate pain control.

You are being extremely demeaning to an entire profession you have very little understanding of.

Reactions: 2 users
It does not matter he could. Should he of? Should hunters and farmers do their own suturing? No. It’s cruel to suture an animal without adequate pain control.

You are being extremely demeaning to an entire profession you have very little understanding of.
I'm not attempting to demean. I'm saying you can call bs on my upbringing if you want, but it wasn't just my family. It was pretty commonplace where I grew up.

You think a dog can somehow handle being eviscerated by a hog but a little needle is unbearable? These dogs have major pain tolerances. If my father could handle having 8 year old me suture him, I think a dog that's amped up on adrenaline can handle being sutured.

Would I do it? No. I'm not nearly skilled enough with a needle. I get my practice in as an intern at the coroners office, but it doesn't have to be good. Just hold the head and abdominal cavity together until the mortician gets it.

My farm work is very limited. I grow a few easy crops, and that's about it.

I never claimed to know about vet care. And you seriously thing hog hunters call a vet every time a dog gets ripped open by a hog tusk? What world do you live in? That would be so expensive NOONE could afford it. My father did call the vet if he had a situation he didn't feel like he could handle. But he had probably sutured hundreds of hog dogs in his lifetime. The times I remember him calling were usually about the horses.
I mean, you apparently never called the vet about it so I'm thinking you don't know anything about the cost. I've worked with several SA vets at this point, each clinic has done sutures for non-life threatening situations for like under $75, and that's working at suburban clinics. It may not be the treatment plan the doctor want to implement, but if the owner can't/won't pay, I've seen each do sutures with lidocaine, the suture, and abx/pain meds to go home for less than $50-75. And that's within the last 10 years or so, and again, suburban clinics (aka more expensive than a rural clinic). You do the math as to how inexpensive it may have been during your childhood.

We know you don't know vet care. That's pretty obvious. If you read again, I was directly quoting you as a sarcastic jab since you keep making excuses for providing poor animal care after saying "I don't understand vet care."

Suturing isn't even that painful. You think a dog can somehow handle being eviscerated by a hog but a little needle is unbearable? These dogs have major pain tolerances.
Skin incisions and sutures are some of the most painful parts of soft tissue surgery. Skin sutures and incisions often are what gets an anesthetized dog to start panting/responding under gas. Cannot even begin to estimate how many times a dog has been under a perfect plane of anesthesia during an intestinal R+A, splenectomy, spay, etc only to start responding while we start closing the last layer.

Last edited:
You think a dog can somehow handle being eviscerated by a hog but a little needle is unbearable? These dogs have major pain tolerances. If my father could handle having 8 year old me suture him, I think a dog that's amped up on adrenaline can handle being sutured.
Both are very painful and I bet you dollars to doughnuts those dogs were in pain and definitely showing it. Animals often show pain very differently from humans and stoicism is easily misinterpreted as an animal that is free of pain. The fact that you clearly expected the inciting injury that called for the stitches in the first place to be painful says a lot here.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, you apparently never called the vet about it so I'm thinking you don't know anything about the cost. I've worked with several SA vets at this point, each clinic has done sutures for non-life threatening situations for like under $50, and that's working at suburban clinics. It may not be the treatment plan the doctor want to implement, but if the owner can't/won't pay, I've seen each do sutures with lidocaine, the suture, and abx/pain meds to go home for less than $50-75. And that's within the last 10 years or so, and again, suburban clinics (aka more expensive than a rural clinic). You do the math as to how inexpensive it may have been during your childhood.

We know you don't know vet care. That's pretty obvious. If you read again, I was directly quoting you as a sarcastic jab since you keep making excuses for providing poor animal care after saying "I don't understand vet care."

Skin incisions and sutures are some of the most painful parts of soft tissue surgery. Skin sutures and incisions often are what gets an anesthetized dog to start panting/responding under gas. Cannot even begin to estimate how many times a dog has been under a perfect plane of anesthesia during an intestinal R+A, splenectomy, spay, etc only to start responding while we start closing the last layer.
How many times would a vet allow you to come in to have a dog sutured for a mere 50$? And yes we used antibiotics. My father bought them from a livestock supply catalog or the feed store.

You may come from a rural area but I still feel like you were sheltered. If a dog is very mangled up, they simply shoot him to put him out of his misery. If you don't believe all of this, I have a hard time believing you came from the country. Now that I live in the middle of the city I see that experiences DEFINITELY vary.

When my mother called me and told me about my GSD getting hit by a car, i feared for the worst. Once I got back from Texas I bought her some McDonald's on the way home, loaded my pistol and prepared to put her down myself. And everyone agreed it was for the best.

Momma had told me "look both of her back legs are broken and she is bleeding from her mouth and rectum." So I didn't think she had a chance. But when I assessed her, turned out the bleeding had stopped, and it was just her right rear leg ankle equivalent (whatever it's called in dog speak) had an open fx.

So I was like "wait a minute! She might be alright." And decided to take her to the vet clinic and in the meantime iced her down and tried to keep her comfortable. They put off operating until a Wednesday (this was a Monday), and sent her back home with amox and tramadol.

She was a hell of a dog. Not saying the vet was wrong. Seemed like a good knowledgeable kid. Just saddens me is all. I didn't really think about all of the details until later. I was too emotional about it. Couldn't even look at pictures of her. Been 3 years and it's still hard.
IMG_3610.PNG

How many times would a vet allow you to come in to have a dog sutured for a mere 50$? And yes we used antibiotics. My father bought them from a livestock supply catalog or the feed store.

You may come from a rural area but I still feel like you were sheltered. If a dog is very mangled up, they simply shoot him to put him out of his misery. If you don't believe all of this, I have a hard time believing you came from the country. Now that I live in the middle of the city I see that experiences DEFINITELY vary.

When my mother called me and told me about my GSD getting hit by a car, i feared for the worst. Once I got back from Texas I bought her some McDonald's on the way home, loaded my pistol and prepared to put her down myself. And everyone agreed it was for the best.

Momma had told me "look both of her back legs are broken and she is bleeding from her mouth and rectum. So I didn't think she had a chance. But when I assessed her, turned out the bleeding had stopped, and it was just her right rear leg ankle equivalent (whatever it's called in dog speak) had an open fx.

So I was like "wait a minute! She might be alright." And decided to take her to the vet clinic. And they put off operating until a Wednesday (this was a Monday), and sent her with amox and tramadol.

She was a hell of a dog. Not saying the vet was wrong. Seemed like a good knowledgeable kid. Just saddens me is all. I didn't really think about all of the details until later. I was too emotional about it. Couldn't even look at pictures of her. Been 3 years and it's still hard.
View attachment 234648
When did I say I didn't believe people shoot their dogs or do stupid things at home, such as suturing themselves? I literally laughed out loud at you saying that, what an absurd thing to come up with :laugh:. Gunshot is actually an AVMA-accepted form of euthanasia as long as it is done properly, and I suspect you didn't know this. This is very common knowledge in the vet world, and I've met many clients in my area who come to the clinic for options and when euthanasia is decided as the best route, they go home and do it themselves to save some money. Some people keep so many animals and do this for a lifetime that they invest in a captive bolt gun because it's cheaper in the long run. Don't kid yourself. Again, you "don't understand vet med."

The fact that you still aren't unaware of any point any of us have tried to make really makes this a meaningless conversation. Also, please don't refer to medical professionals as kids, because they're not.

When did I say I didn't believe people shoot their dogs or do stupid things at home, such as suturing themselves? I literally laughed out loud at you saying that, what an absurd thing to come up with :laugh:. Gunshot is actually an AVMA-accepted form of euthanasia as long as it is done properly, and I suspect you didn't know this. This is very common knowledge in the vet world, and I've met many clients in my area who come to the clinic for options and when euthanasia is decided as the best route, they go home and do it themselves to save some money. Some people keep so many animals and do this for a lifetime that they invest in a captive bolt gun because it's cheaper in the long run. Don't kid yourself. Again, you "don't understand vet med."

The fact that you still aren't unaware of any point any of us have tried to make really makes this a meaningless conversation. Also, please don't refer to medical professionals as kids, because they're not.
I call fellow nurses kids all the time. Not being derogatory. Just seemed like a real young, but good fella. Patients call me kid all the time because I look very young. People think I'm 19-20 when I'm 31. I take it as a complement.

I never know when people are going to get offended. That's why. Like I said I could see many against hunting for being inhumane. There's a broad spectrum of animal lovers.

I never claimed to have a knowledge of veterinary. I've simply worked with dogs all my life, from hunting with them as a kid to in Iraq as a Military Policeman.

Anyway, that's all I've got to say. Part of healthcare is understanding sometimes you do the best you have with the best youve got.

Last edited:

They don't have "major pain tolerances" they have instinct. They are still dogs, after all. The instinct is to survive. In order to survive, you can NOT display you are wounded/injured/weak. This means that people have a VERY difficult time assessing pain in dogs. There is actually entire research done to evaluate a dog, the dog's behavior, etc to determine how painful the dog is. It isn't as simple as "oh yeah, he screamed therefore he is painful". Animals don't typically scream with pain. And cats are even worse for determining pain.

I think a dog "knows" that it is hurting but it can't show that because instinct tells the dog not to or it will die. Quit literally, given the rest of what you are telling us. Because why save a good dog when you can just shoot it?? (Stupid).

The thing is you never actually gave your dogs a chance. That is the issue here. You assumed something was going to be expensive and just decided to take matters into your own hand.

I bet $1,000 you didn't give an appropriate strength or dosing of antibiotics either when you gave them.

Did these dogs get any form of pain control? Because even if you don't think skin sutures hurt (they do, your skin has more pain receptors than your muscle, you should know this as a nurse), then you should at least think the hog injury hurt like hell so why wouldn't you want your dog to have pain control? Huh?

Would you get "eviscerated" by a hog and not take pain meds? Hell no you wouldn't, you'd flop over like a god damn baby and beg to see a doctor.

Why do you think your dog deserves less?

So basically you were taught that animals deserve nothing more than third world country care and if they can't survive that they should die.

I think you should live YOUR life that way. You deserve the same. If you can't survive the bare bones, bull**** basic care, you too do not deserve to live.

I know PLENTY of country people having gone to vet school in the midwest. Many who were raised on farms. Many who were raised hunting. Many who have had to shoot a pet that was suffering because the animal would die before they could get it to a vet.

NONE of them would have done the things you describe above. NONE of them. Because a good hunting dog is hard to find and hard to train so if they can save their hunting dog, they are damn well going to try. A good herding dog is the same. A good cow that produces well, same thing, they will put the money in to save her.

The difference here is you have no regard for the lives of those dogs, at all. They were disposable to your father. Which is despicable and really separates the good farmers from the bad. And the good hunters from the bad.

I call fellow nurses kids all the time. Not being derogatory. Just seemed like a real young, but good fella. Patients call me kid all the time because I look very young. People think I'm 19-20 when I'm 31. I take it as a complement.

I never know when people are going to get offended. That's why. Like I said I could see many against hunting for being inhumane. There's a broad spectrum of animal lovers.

I never claimed to have a knowledge of veterinary. I've simply worked with dogs all my life, from hunting with them as a kid to in Iraq as a Military Policeman.

Anyway, that's all I've got to say. Part of healthcare is understanding sometimes you do the best you have with the best youve got.
doesn't matter how you intended it, that's pretty disrespectful. to other nurses, too. My feeling on reading your posts is that you're in that phase where you know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to know what limitations there are. Continued learning would help with that.

In sepsis, if there's a specific area/infection causing the sepsis, amputation may be necessary before stabilizing completely. I can treat sepsis all day long but it won't make a difference if I don't deal with the primary cause.

I think there's a lot of back and forth here and a lot of tempers getting heated. Just a friendly reminder to keep it civil

Reactions: 5 users
They don't have "major pain tolerances" they have instinct. They are still dogs, after all. The instinct is to survive. In order to survive, you can NOT display you are wounded/injured/weak. This means that people have a VERY difficult time assessing pain in dogs. There is actually entire research done to evaluate a dog, the dog's behavior, etc to determine how painful the dog is. It isn't as simple as "oh yeah, he screamed therefore he is painful". Animals don't typically scream with pain. And cats are even worse for determining pain.

I think a dog "knows" that it is hurting but it can't show that because instinct tells the dog not to or it will die. Quit literally, given the rest of what you are telling us. Because why save a good dog when you can just shoot it?? (Stupid).

The thing is you never actually gave your dogs a chance. That is the issue here. You assumed something was going to be expensive and just decided to take matters into your own hand.

I bet $1,000 you didn't give an appropriate strength or dosing of antibiotics either when you gave them.

Did these dogs get any form of pain control? Because even if you don't think skin sutures hurt (they do, your skin has more pain receptors than your muscle, you should know this as a nurse), then you should at least think the hog injury hurt like hell so why wouldn't you want your dog to have pain control? Huh?

Would you get "eviscerated" by a hog and not take pain meds? Hell no you wouldn't, you'd flop over like a god damn baby and beg to see a doctor.

Why do you think your dog deserves less?
So basically you were taught that animals deserve nothing more than third world country care and if they can't survive that they should die.

I think you should live YOUR life that way. You deserve the same. If you can't survive the bare bones, bull**** basic care, you too do not deserve to live.
Well my father pretty much did. He didn't go to the doctor. Like I said.. he had me suture him up. I don't own working dogs. Never have. I had a GSD that I treated like my child. She wasn't a working dog. She was a pet. Huge difference. Kind of like you can eat a goat or have a pet goat. You treat them entirely different.

Well my father pretty much did. He didn't go to the doctor. Like I said.. he had me suture him up. I don't own working dogs. Never have. I had a GSD that I treated like my child. She wasn't a working dog. She was a pet. Huge difference. Kind of like you can eat a goat or have a pet goat. You treat them entirely different.

I think you should stop talking while ahead because you clearly do not have the experience to know what you are talking about.

I will say it's not typically illegal for people to treat their own animals. Animal welfare concerns and calls to animal control with suspected cruelty are another issue

I can guarantee also that if your father were truly "eviscerated" by a hog (you do know what eviscerated means right?), he would be seeking medical care. Well, that or asking for death.

I will say it's not typically illegal for people to treat their own animals. Animal welfare concerns and calls to animal control with suspected cruelty are another issue
My father was very compassionate with his animals. I could tell by the effort he put in taking care of them. And we never had a dog die from suturing. While I know he didn't have a vets knowledge he had a vast amount more than the typical animal owner. I'm quite surprised about the judgement of him without knowing him. I mean, it takes quite a while to suture up a dog and approximate the edges appropriately. As Im sure you know... but no.. he had no regard for his animals...

What does eviscerated mean?

I don't judge my patients who take care of themselves. I simply try to educate them. I like automous self reliant people. i just try to empower them.

Also ive learned situation dictates. If you're in the city and try to suture up a pet you're a *****. But other situations may make more sense. Every single situation is different.

When I was a new RN I asked my Charge nurse "if someone codes how fast do I push Epi?" He says "slam that s*%t. Dude ain't gettin any deader. He's already dead. All you can do is bring him back."

Last edited:

Not really. Working animals and food animals deserve veterinary attention, including pain control, just as much as companion animals do. This is why we have food animal vets. Of course due to economics they are sometimes treated somewhat differently, but insinuating that they are somehow less deserving of appropriate care simply because they will eventually be eaten is bull****.

Your father may have sutured his own animals (and himself), but just because he did so does not make it the right thing to do - either for himself or for his animals. I don't doubt he had compassion, but it sounds like a lack of knowledge of what is considered an appropriate level of care.

Reactions: 8 users
Torn open to the point that entrails are all over the place.
It was sarcasm. I know what the word means. I wouldve answered with sarcasm, but I value the respect you showed in your post. Arguing that he had an insufficient level of knowledge is a valid argument. But when someone's going to say he's a terrible person without knowing him, it makes me scratch my head.

Thanks for the response.

My father was very compassionate with his animals. I could tell by the effort he put in taking care of them. And we never had a dog die from suturing. While I know he didn't have a vets knowledge he had a vast amount more than the typical animal owner. I'm quite surprised about the judgement of him without knowing him. I mean, it takes quite a while to suture up a dog and approximate the edges appropriately. As Im sure you know... but no.. he had no regard for his animals...

I don't judge my patients who take care of themselves. I simply try to educate them. I like automous self reliant people. i just try to empower them.

Also ive learned situation dictates. If you're in the city and try to suture up a pet you're a *****. But other situations may make more sense. Every single situation is different.

When I was a new RN I asked my Charge nurse "if someone codes how fast do I push Epi?" He says "slam that s*%t. Dude ain't gettin any deader. He's already dead. All you can do is bring him back."
I would argue your dad wasn't compassionate as he didn't provide pain relief for your animals - working, pet, or farm, animals deserve a life with as little pain as possible.

You may not have had a dog die, but how many ended up with infections? How many dealt with much more pain than they would have at a vet's office? How many scars would have been smaller or less of a problem had a professional done the suturing?

It doesn't matter how much knowledge he had. it does matter that he didn't have veterinary training.

I'm not saying your dad is a bad guy. He was clearly working within his means. But that doesn't mean it was anywhere close to ideal

So your bar is the dog dying or not. That's a damn low bar. If your father were really compassionate about animals, he would have never fought dogs, I am your age, my father lived in the same time period as your father, my father didn't fight dogs. It wasn't "just something they did". That is a ****tastic excuse for animal abuse and you know it. He would also have cared for your dogs receiving pain control for "being eviscerated by a hog".

I ask if you know what this means because you stated that is what happened to your dogs then nonchalantly go "well my dad just done sewed em up and gave em antibiotics and they be fine. I mean none died." Eviscerated indicated internal organ damage, destruction and organs hanging outside the body cavity. There was no "sewing em up" and calling them good if they were truly "eviscerated". Which is why I stated if the same happened to your father you would all have rushed him to a doctor instantly but wouldn't dream of giving your dogs (the ones who actually risk their damned lives hunting for YOU) that same consideration. And that, that there is sad.

This is EXACTLY what is wrong with society today. We are not taking to heart the education and experience of actual professionals anymore. Everyone thinks they can do everything and that they should just "take those antibiotics" or "glue that wound" or "stitch that on up". We need to get back to when people actually listened to professionals. I don't WANT lay people to know how to just "stitch that up" because stitching while not difficult takes knowledge. What pattern? What suture? What strength of suture? Monofilament? Braided? Unbraided? Interrupted? Cruciate? Does it actually need stitched? Etc, etc. What antibiotics does it need? Beta lactam, floroquinolone, sulfa, etc, etc? Should that wound be cultured? Or not? Are there any complicating medical factors that might affect the healing of this wound? Diabetes? Cushings? And on and on and on and on.

Not only that but a LOT of wounds (especially those caused by animals) may needs stitching eventually but not that same day, often times you want the skin around the wound to declare itself before you go stitching things together.

I don't pretend to be an electrician, plumber, car mechanic, doctor, dentist, optometrist, etc, etc. We SHOULD NOT be encouraging people or teaching them how to do medical things (outside of how to take medications or basic first aid). Just like an electrician isn't going to teach a lay person to wire a home. You need adequate education for that.

We don't want laypeople to just be doing anything and everything. We need professionals. We need an educated society. Not a society who decides they are entitled to do what they want and when and that they are just ask good as that professional who went through 8+ years of schooling and has 10+ years of experience.

I don't care where you are. If you are suturing up your own pet without any pain control or sedation, you are ****ing *****.

I'm not saying your dad is a bad guy. He was clearly working within his means. But that doesn't mean it was anywhere close to ideal
I agree! I would never want to be in that situation. But I also wasn't raised in nearly as hard of times, and I'm in a much better financial situation (and much less educated than he was. Still amazes me how much he knew).

We never had a problem with infection. He was really good about that. I've never taken chemistry a day in my life except integrated high school Chem, but I know classes of antibiotics from medical microbiology and nursing school pharm. My dad had taken a lot of those classes, and like I said had an agricultural and microbiology degree back in like 1975 when double majoring was much more rare. He wasn't a dummy. We had a good supply of antibiotics. Whether he ever used pain medications on them, I'm not 100% sure. I don't remember giving it to them, but could he have possibly? Sure. I was very young. I do remember he didn't take anything when I sutured him. I asked him if he had something for pain and he just said "no boy. Just do it." And showed me exactly where to stick the needle, and how to tie it off. He wanted my mom to do it but she refused. It was one of the scariest moments of my life. I hadn't seen that much blood before except for from killing an animal, and I was afraid of messing up. I mean I was 8. Now I would do it if I needed to. But in that situation I would've told him to go see a doctor. My girlfriends uncle wanted me to pull his tooth a few weeks ago, and I said hell no.

Last edited:
I am not saying your dad was some awful, horrendous person (though the dog fighting is bad), what I am concerned with is you backing up that level of medical care for animals. Do I think your dad did what he felt was right at the time for how he was likely raised and where he was raised? Yes, I do.

Do I think you should be in the thread backing that up as "good medicine" for dogs and simplifying wound care/management as something that can just be stitched up on the good ol farm and toss them some antibiotics? No, I don't.

I think you need to have some recognition that while your dad was doing the what he thought was best, it was actually, probably not all that great.

Heck, I look back on my childhood and what my pets went through, they didn't get adequate care. Not at all. Do I think my parents were doing their best with what the knew? Of course I do. Do I think we both know better know? Yes. Would I back up the care we provided now as a vet? No. I don't think we did appropriate things.

The issue here is in recognizing that what was done maybe should not have been done and maybe was not in the best interest of those dogs and more so in the interest of saving money.

Do we ‘get’ it? Yeah, we get it.

Do we think it was okay? Not really. But it happened.

As long as you treat your pets better than that, there’s no argument here. It’s not 1960 - we expect clients to use heartworm prevention and see a vet for injuries and all of that.

Well I think that would be apparent. Like I said Annie was my child.

Do we ‘get’ it? Yeah, we get it.

Do we think it was okay? Not really. But it happened.

As long as you treat your pets better than that, there’s no argument here. It’s not 1960 - we expect clients to use heartworm prevention and see a vet for injuries and all of that.
and we have prevention that lasts longer than a day...

@thedrjojo (first doc I thought of) out of curiosity, is this common? Of course nurses/techs assess patients, but making diagnoses and putting in orders?

I would never have an LVT begin treatment on a patients because of their diagnosis or put in medication orders without my explicit prior approval. As much as I respect LVTs up the wazoo for their immense technical skills, no way.
Inpt setting the rn may put some common things in as a 'verbal' order with or without some knowledge... Often like the trauma Bay where everyone was getting Labs drawn so if we couldn't put the order in first then they would do it to send. Rarely a floor nurse would do it, but it was like once a month.

In the outpt world, often it's a well established relationship between the nurse and MD so they might often know what the MD wanted ordered and do it.

NP's (nurse practitioners) are a different story altogether but that's not what we are talking about here.

And often there are calls with suggestions for things, not normally diagnoses per say, but things like antiemetics or antihistamines that would make the pt comfortable that either wasn't ordered (I try to make sure they always are ordered and often are part of order sets) but rarely if ever they call saying pts has burning when they pee, do you want to give ciprofloxacin (they would say do you want to start an antibiotic if they did call).

As for the original topic, some drugs I know the dilution/how to dilute, but most drugs I order the dosage and the pharmacist auto mixes it or the emr automatically puts it in the correct solution, so I guess human med is easier than vet med in that sense.

They didn't view it as wrong. That's the point I'm making.
Well, now that you know better, you can look back with a different view. It's good to remember the past, but that doesn't mean you should necessarily remember it fondly or think that it was all OK because that's just what people did. It's OK to say "yeah, he did some crazy, dangerous stuff back then that could be pretty mean-spirited, but no one realized it at the time". And certainly don't use those actions as a template for your choices today.

And it kills me that you say he was compassionate with his animals, but didn't mind other animals being torn apart.

I agree! I would never want to be in that situation. But I also wasn't raised in nearly as hard of times, and I'm in a much better financial situation (and much less educated than he was. Still amazes me how much he knew).

We never had a problem with infection. He was really good about that. I've never taken chemistry a day in my life except integrated high school Chem, but I know classes of antibiotics from medical microbiology and nursing school pharm. My dad had taken a lot of those classes, and like I said had an agricultural and microbiology degree back in like 1975 when double majoring was much more rare. He wasn't a dummy. We had a good supply of antibiotics. Whether he ever used pain medications on them, I'm not 100% sure. I don't remember giving it to them, but could he have possibly? Sure. I was very young. I do remember he didn't take anything when I sutured him. I asked him if he had something for pain and he just said "no boy. Just do it." And showed me exactly where to stick the needle, and how to tie it off. He wanted my mom to do it but she refused. It was one of the scariest moments of my life. I hadn't seen that much blood before except for from killing an animal, and I was afraid of messing up. I mean I was 8. Now I would do it if I needed to. But in that situation I would've told him to go see a doctor. My girlfriends uncle wanted me to pull his tooth a few weeks ago, and I said hell no.

That still doesn't qualify someone to give appropriate medications and dosages to animals. Certain commonplace drugs can have serious consequences when administered to the wrong species - things that we use everyday. Just knowing the class of the drug and mechanism of action is not sufficient.

Ibuprofen can potentially kill a dog, but we humans can take it with few problems. Acetaminophen can kill a cat, same deal. A host of common antibiotics can kill a rabbit, but are perfectly fine to give to other species. It's not the same across the board, and just assuming it is without specific knowledge can be disastrous.

Honestly, if hog dogs are getting torn up often enough that it is too expensive to take them to the vet for stitches due to both frequency and severity, those dogs are either not wearing enough protection (i.e. vests and boar bibs) or they aren't properly trained.

He knew which animals to give the antibiotics to though. He wasn't just giving them random drugs. Like I said he had studied these medications at length. He would lecture me on these types of things. I've always been the one who is afraid to give medications to animals. I didn't realize Benadryl could be given to dogs for anxiety until one of my physicians told me that he did. I never even looked it up, for some reason I just didn't think it sounded safe to. I never had to give my animals medications on my own because I don't know those things. All I've ever given a dog is the prescribed medicine for Annie, and hartguard. And ive given IM antibiotics to goats before. That's about it.

There are many online certified resources that tell you the dosages of antibiotics for each species. And I remember the Ivomec had dosage on the container per weight of animal.

Last edited:
He knew which animals to give the antibiotics to though. He wasn't just giving them random drugs. Like I said he had studied these medications at length. He would lecture me on these types of things. I've always been the one who is afraid to give medications to animals. I didn't realize Benadryl could be given to dogs for anxiety until one of my physicians told me that he did. I never even looked it up, for some reason I just didn't think it sounded safe to. I never had to give my animals medications on my own because I don't know those things. All I've ever given a dog is the prescribed medicine for Annie, and hartguard. And ive given IM antibiotics to goats before. That's about it.

Benadryl can be given to dogs, but it isn't used for anxiety.

Status
Not open for further replies.