When to start looking/applying for jobs...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hellovetschool26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I've just started my fourth year of veterinary school and am not sure when to start applying for jobs. There are several job ads out now that I am interested in but it seems too early to start applying since I won't be graduating for another year. Although, I've seen many students from previous classes get offers early in their fourth year I'm not sure if they were just offered these on preceptorship/etc or if they actually applied to jobs very early. As a current veterinarian, would you ever be interested in hiring almost a year out on a current job ad? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I started looking after NAVLE results came out in Januaryish. Didn't really start actively applying until March. Interviewed in April. Most places won't be hiring a full year out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We’re been told to start looking in October of our fourth year, but I don’t know how many do.

I started looking in the fall. I had a block of free time in late December / early January and wanted to use that for interviews (since I was looking out of state). I ended up receiving offers at that time and accepting one once I got back home and had to time to discuss with my significant other.