When to expect interview invitations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpecialmED

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, sorry if this was already asked, but search button failed me. When should one expect to receive interviews, I have applied to 62 but no response yet. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is some variation of "it depends" and "impossible to guess".

For specific programs you can look through last year's interview threads and see when a program has sent out interviews in the past. But already this I year I can see that that's an imperfect guide, for instance last year looks like Louisville sent out interviews September 10th and this year not just yet.

A overall trend looks to be that the majority of interviews don't get sent until October, though some of really strong programs can wait until the Dean's letter and know people will still make calendar room for their interview.

At least a few interviews trickle into December. Some programs atypically send them out in more than a single batch at a time, so just because someone else has a received one for a place and you not just yet isn't necessarily a death sentence.

Me, I also applied widely and have already obtained 4 interviews and two rejections (at places I wasn't interested in, thank god) but then, again, my application is complete which makes some difference but not all.

Hope these rambling, vague generalizations have been of service.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi, sorry if this was already asked, but search button failed me. When should one expect to receive interviews, I have applied to 62 but no response yet. Thanks

My first one (I just checked this yesterday) was on 9/23/2009, and I applied to 50+ programs. So it's still probably a day or 2 early, but right around the corner.

Members don't see this ad :)
The answer is some variation of "it depends" and "impossible to guess".

For specific programs you can look through last year's interview threads and see when a program has sent out interviews in the past. But already this I year I can see that that's an imperfect guide, for instance last year looks like Maricopa and Louisville sent out interviews September 10th and this year not just yet.

A overall trend looks to be that the majority of interviews don't get sent until October, though some of really strong programs can wait until the Dean's letter and know people will still make calendar room for their interview.

At least a few interviews trickle into December. Some programs atypically send them out in more than a single batch at a time, so just because someone else has a received one for a place and you not just yet isn't necessarily a death sentence.

Me, I also applied widely and have already obtained 4 interviews and two rejections (at places I wasn't interested in, thank god) but then, again, my application is complete which makes some difference but not all.

Hope these rambling, vague generalizations have been of service.

how do you know when you get rejections? they say sorry you won't get an interview? I didn't know they did that, I just figured they wouldn't send you an interview invite at all.

how do you know when you get rejections? they say sorry you won't get an interview? I didn't know they did that, I just figured they wouldn't send you an interview invite at all.

Well, don't know most programs but yeah, I got a specific email of rejection from Sparrow and Tampa.

Ugghhhhhh this sucks. Two of my three LORS are in. One from a FM doc, one from EM. But my departments EM SLOR is not in, and may not been in for weeks. I'm hoping not having a SLOR in right now isn't killing me interview wise. I applied to 35 programs, 0 interviews thus far.

I've gotten a couple thus far. I think October will be far more productive for applicants.

Well, don't know most programs but yeah, I got a specific email of rejection from Sparrow and Tampa.

I thought they couldn't reject you until at least after they received the Dean's letter on Nov 1. Is that not correct?

I thought they couldn't reject you until at least after they received the Dean's letter on Nov 1. Is that not correct?
If that's the case, then Sparrow must not be reading the rules. Or they didn't want me in the Osteopathic match process. Not gotten any allo rejections yet.

That is not correct. They could pre-emptively reject you if they so desired (and were somehow able to identify your application ahead of you actually applying).

Well I got one interview... better than nothing but I would really like some to start rolling in.

Step 1: 249 Step 2: 248 Applied to 62 programs, so you could understand why I expected a few more....

Well I got one interview... better than nothing but I would really like some to start rolling in.

Step 1: 249 Step 2: 248 Applied to 62 programs, so you could understand why I expected a few more....

Why did you apply to so many programs? You have good scores. Are you a foreign medical grad or DO applying to allopathic programs?

You clearly have no reason to be worried right now. They will start to trickle in, and then there should be more of a big wave after MSPEs are released. I wouldn't fret about it just because you see a couple people on here are getting interview offers. Not having a SLOR might slow things down a little bit too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had a bunch of places notify me that they are not sending out invites until after Nov 1.

I guess I won't worry until Nov 2. :eek:

Why did you apply to so many programs? You have good scores. Are you a foreign medical grad or DO applying to allopathic programs?

Yes I'm at a DO school, I've heard that EM is pretty DO friendly but I didn't want to take any chances.

Reactions: 1 user
k now I have 2 interviews and oct. is almost over, am I the only one not getting any any?

k now I have 2 interviews and oct. is almost over, am I the only one not getting any any?

no you are not the only one not getting any. EM is very competitive. Number are up over last year (Hard to believe right). 10% increase in numbers or so, not as massive as the 25% or so last year.

I have 6, and am an US allopathic grad and was very selective in the programs I applied. (avoiding all top tier programs) and applied to about as many as you did. Hopefully we get some loving. I was hoping for 15 since I am a re-applicant and my odds go way down.

Based on some fancy math and what schools offered already and how they have done in previous year, I am only expecting to hit 10 interviews. Hopefully programs are just later this year because of ACEP, but I wouldn't make any promises.

Good luck.

Based on some fancy math and what schools offered already and how they have done in previous year, I am only expecting to hit 10 interviews. Hopefully programs are just later this year because of ACEP, but I wouldn't make any promises.

Good luck.

I am hoping for similar things. I applied broadly, but have heard little. However, I have heard from a few PDs that they will start reviewing applicants in masse after the deans letter

If I recall correctly, I think the majority of my interview invites came after november.

no you are not the only one not getting any. EM is very competitive. Number are up over last year (Hard to believe right). 10% increase in numbers or so, not as massive as the 25% or so last year.

I have been wondering about this! Where did you get this info? I'm also wondering if it is a 10% increase in applications, or a 10% increase in applicants.

I have been wondering about this! Where did you get this info? I'm also wondering if it is a 10% increase in applications, or a 10% increase in applicants.

One program sends out meeting updates which includes application numbers over the last 3 years. Their numbers are up about 10%. So 10% increase in applications, don't know how that translates to applicants. It could actually be fewer, as you stated. People also applied earlier this year with the bulk of applications coming in before September 15.

IMHO, this is only from one program, but it can be roughly generalized to all programs.

One program sends out meeting updates which includes application numbers over the last 3 years. Their numbers are up about 10%. So 10% increase in applications, don't know how that translates to applicants. It could actually be fewer, as you stated. People also applied earlier this year with the bulk of applications coming in before September 15.

IMHO, this is only from one program, but it can be roughly generalized to all programs.

It may also be because of the perceived competitiveness of EM that there are more applications out there, but not that many more students. People now are applying to twice as many programs for the similar apps as a few years ago. I heard one person say that there program had received 1200 apps! Which according to COitM would be almost all of the matched US seniors.

It's very bizarre, because the numbers for EM are not crazy high like radar or ortho

I matched happily last year, and didn't get my invites until after the Dean's Letter.

It may also be because of the perceived competitiveness of EM that there are more applications out there, but not that many more students. People now are applying to twice as many programs for the similar apps as a few years ago.
This is what program directors last year attributed to the increase in applications.

I have not gotten any interviews as of yet :( and 2 rejections so far. I applied to 70 programs all over, mostly to the supposedly IMG friendly and less competitive programs.

I only have 1 EM letter and no SLORs
Step 1: 232/99 (first attempt)
Step 2 CK: 237/99 (first attempt)
Step 2 CS: Pass

It seems as though everyone has those scores, and I'm from a Caribbean school. Should I be very very worried at this point?

I have not gotten any interviews as of yet :( and 2 rejections so far. I applied to 70 programs all over, mostly to the supposedly IMG friendly and less competitive programs.

I only have 1 EM letter and no SLORs
Step 1: 232/99 (first attempt)
Step 2 CK: 237/99 (first attempt)
Step 2 CS: Pass

It seems as though everyone has those scores, and I'm from a Caribbean school. Should I be very very worried at this point?

SLORs are very important. A lack of a SLOR is hurting your application at this point. If you can't get two slors, I would apply to a backup specialty if I were you.

A SLOR is pretty much a requirement at any program. Without a SLOR, your application isn't complete.

Well actually I did an ER elective at a hospital that did not have an ER residency program, so I was only able to get a traditional LOR. I did not apply to the programs that specifically listed that they wanted a SLOR or 2 SLORs. The ones that did not have it listed, I called specifically to ask if they would still look at my application. Most of the programs said it was okay if I didn't have one, but of course it would be better if I did.

Has anyone matched in EM without having a SLOR?

And thank God I applied to some back up programs, so I'm not left without interviews..

so with the dean's letter out, I'm wondering if I should call a few places about invites. Does anyone know how this is actually done? Just call up and say I'm very interested in your program and could you consider reviewing my file for an invitation?

I've been getting a good number already, some top tier places, but there a couple of specific upper-mid teir programs that I could really see myself going to that I haven't heard a peek from.

I matched happily last year, and didn't get my invites until after the Dean's Letter.

Did you get rejections after deans letter as well? I'm worried since Deans letter was released i have gotten 3 rejections, but no more interviews. I have only been invited to 3 EM and 1 prelim medicine interview so far. How long after deans letter should i expect to hear better news? I hope my letter is not bad. that would suck:mad:

Did you get rejections after deans letter as well? I'm worried since Deans letter was released i have gotten 3 rejections, but no more interviews. I have only been invited to 3 EM and 1 prelim medicine interview so far. How long after deans letter should i expect to hear better news? I hope my letter is not bad. that would suck:mad:

You should be able to read your MSPE to avoid any surprises.

Yes, I got all of my responses, positive and negative, after the Dean's Letter. The invites come in on a rolling basis as the candidates that walk on water start turning interviews down. Stay in touch with the programs that you haven't heard from, politely, through the program coordinator. I think my final invites arrived in late December (by which time I was already decided and didn't want them).

Part of the reason that my responses may have been late is that I submitted nearer the end of the month. Every candidate is unique, and my flavor of uniqueness was along the lines of extended med school for family reasons. With all that time for extra EM rotations I had 4 SLORS, but was waiting to get them uploaded prior to submitting. This isn't the brightest idea, even though it worked out well for me. I highly encourage all to submit early and upload letters as they come in.

Best of luck. It's a capricious process. I'm glad to never do that again.

Since I posted in this thread back in Sept w/ zero interviews, I am now at 26 interview invites. I applied to WAAAAYYY too many for me personally. I have scheduled 15 interviews and I'm struggling to cancel/reschedule/accept any more.

thats good to hear. Unfortunately i have been constantly hearing bad news since deans letter was out. I know i dont have anything alarming on my letter. I also had to take out some time from school for family medical issues, but have returned. I just need God to intervened and keep my fingers crossed. This process is so disheartening when you know you have worked hard and still not getting enough interviews. i applied to 62 and have about 10 rejections and 4 interviews. hopefully this week will bring better news

thats good to hear. Unfortunately i have been constantly hearing bad news since deans letter was out. I know i dont have anything alarming on my letter. I also had to take out some time from school for family medical issues, but have returned. I just need God to intervened and keep my fingers crossed. This process is so disheartening when you know you have worked hard and still not getting enough interviews. i applied to 62 and have about 10 rejections and 4 interviews. hopefully this week will bring better news

I am really starting to get worried. I applied to 36 schools and have only heard back from one, a rejection. Should I start contacting programs? If so, what should I say? Thank you.

I am really starting to get worried. I applied to 36 schools and have only heard back from one, a rejection. Should I start contacting programs? If so, what should I say? Thank you.

IMG? Stats?

IMG? Stats?

Top 15 med school. Excellent on deans letter. 240+ step 1 and 2. Slor x 2 in the 'very good to excellent' range. Applied to programs in major cities. Top choices are in Chicago and NYC. Advice?? Thank you.

Top 15 med school. Excellent on deans letter. 240+ step 1 and 2. Slor x 2 in the 'very good to excellent' range. Applied to programs in major cities. Top choices are in Chicago and NYC. Advice?? Thank you.

I don't know if anyone else is having similar experiences, but I applied to 20, invites to 15 but haven't heard from any of the 5 chicago programs I applied to.

I second that. I applied very broadly and have heard from about 1/4 of the programs I applied to. At what point do I start contacting programs to let them know I'm interested? I know the MSPE has only been out for a week and I'm probably being neurotic, but, you know...

I second that. I applied very broadly and have heard from about 1/4 of the programs I applied to. At what point do I start contacting programs to let them know I'm interested? I know the MSPE has only been out for a week and I'm probably being neurotic, but, you know...

Word! When do we start emailing folks to let them know our interest? Anybody? Is this a NO-NO?

Doesn't add up.
Something bad in your file?

Not that I know of, worst part of my app is probably my slors. Didn't do research but volunteered. I would have hoped for at least one interview by now. :/

Not that I know of, worst part of my app is probably my slors. Didn't do research but volunteered. I would have hoped for at least one interview by now. :/

When did you submit your app? If your stats are accurate and you applied early, you should have at least 15 interviews by now. I agree that there's something off here.

When did you submit your app? If your stats are accurate and you applied early, you should have at least 15 interviews by now. I agree that there's something off here.

I submitted first week of October. You think that could be it?

Similar situation here! I expected to have heard (one way or the other) from the bulk of programs by now... but not so. So far 11 yes, 1 no, 18 unknown.

Been asked many times, but when does everyone think is an appropriate time to start contacting programs?

I submitted first week of October. You think that could be it?

Probably a big part of it.
I heard a lot of places saying that got 1000+ applications.
If you were number 1000 in their list, they may have already given out all of their interviews by the time they got to your application.

Hopefully once people start canceling interviews, you'll get some positive feedback.

:luck: