When to get in contact with department?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docr3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Hope everyone is safe during these times. I am a second year waiting to take Step 1 and start 3rd year, and I have discovered an interest in this field. I have a few papers, a textbook chapter and a poster presentation in Ortho, but I am starting to think Otolaryngology may be a better fit for me. I like how otolaryngology is a true mix of both surgery and medicine and I really like the anatomy/fellowship opportunities that exist. My question is, when should I get in touch with someone from my department and ask for advice on how to strengthen my application while also making connections in the field?

Members don't see this ad.

Today would be a good time. If not today, then tomorrow. The sooner you start getting your name out there, the better.

Study the stickied thread by Neutropeniaboy at the top of this subforum- there’s lots of gold in there.

Good luck!

EDIT: the thread I referred to is here: Advice to the Hopeful: Going for Otolaryngology.

Moderators, please re-sticky the above linked thread to the top of this forum- it is invaluable advice for ENT applicants!

Reactions: 1 users
Today would be a good time. If not today, then tomorrow. The sooner you start getting your name out there, the better.

Study the stickied thread by Neutropeniaboy at the top of this subforum- there’s lots of gold in there.

Good luck!

EDIT: the thread I referred to is here: Advice to the Hopeful: Going for Otolaryngology.

Moderators, please re-sticky the above linked thread to the top of this forum- it is invaluable advice for ENT applicants!
Thank you very much, I will reach out to my department and checkout the post you tagged. Stay safe!