When to send in an update if placed on waitlist? Spring? Now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uphillBattle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently waitlisted at a certain school. I was wondering around when would be appropriate to send in updates to that school i.e. LOI, another LOR, activity update, funny/interesting thing POST-interview.

I was thinking maybe once around mid-December and then again in February if I still haven't been accepted off of the waitlist to this school. Of course, these updates would contain substantial information about anything new that I've been doing.

Thanks everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds good to me -- You'd want to keep your application 'alive' but not be a pest. I'd suggest checking the school-specific threads to see when 'batches' of acceptances went out last year, then timing your updates to arrive 1-2 weeks before each batch.

Reactions: 1 user
^What she said. But also make sure said school will do something with your LOI other than use it to fuel the bonfire they use to dispose of screened applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say that it depends on when waitlist movement occurs at the school. Some schools don't accept from waitlist until after all interviews have concluded. If this is the case, sending an update in December probably wouldn't help and I'd suggest sending an update in April or early May. If they accept from the waitlist throughout the cycle, send updates when you have a good amount of meaningful activities to update them on. Some schools limit the number of updates, so be cognizant of how frequently you do so.

I like the proactive approach. Send updates and LOI as much as you can. Obviously don't pester them daily but every month or even every two weeks can be appropriate. Don't repeat the same things again and again of course.