When to send Letter of Intent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

annieb985

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I know it's still fairly early in the cycle, but I was wondering when it would be appropriate to email schools a Letter of Intent expressing my interest? Would it be jumping the gun to email them before hearing back if they even want an interview from me? Is a monthly letter excessive? I just want to keep schools abreast of my current activities.. dental shadowing, work, etc. Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

It is incredibly too early for such a letter. Right now all the programs are drowning in applications and I do not think such a letter would be appreciated. Save such a letter for after an interview or when you are waitlisted.

Just my two cents.

Good luck in this cycle!

It is incredibly too early for such a letter. Right now all the programs are drowning in applications and I do not think such a letter would be appreciated. Save such a letter for after an interview or when you are waitlisted.

Just my two cents.

Good luck in this cycle!
Thanks for the tip!

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not now. I would send some after Dec 1st.

Definitely save it for after Dec 1st.

After interview for sure!

What about updating schools? Are we supposed to periodically update schools on new experiences throughout the summer/fall?
Didn't you include future dates on your activities? I put research and certain jobs that I have during the semester until may 2018 when i finish my senior year. I don't understand what I for example would have to to update the school during summer if they see on my transcript that I'm taking a summer class and I've included that I have a summer finance internship until september. maybe you guys didn't put ongoing activities with future dates?

Didn't you include future dates on your activities? I put research and certain jobs that I have during the semester until may 2018 when i finish my senior year. I don't understand what I for example would have to to update the school during summer if they see on my transcript that I'm taking a summer class and I've included that I have a summer finance internship until september. maybe you guys didn't put ongoing activities with future dates?
What about upcoming shadowing?

Wait if it's a current activity then wouldn't you just check off the box that says "current" on your app? That way you wouldn't have to type in an "end date"

Reactions: 1 user
That
Wait if it's a current activity then wouldn't you just check off the box that says "current" on your app? That way you wouldn't have to type in an "end date"
That is what I did for current shadowing with a GP. The end date was optional, however you still have to approximate the number of weeks & hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
oh i guess you can add shadowing hours...most schools prefer you have a "completed number of hours". I had around 160 and last week I thought about shadowing some more cause I love shadowing this one dentist. he's really good. but i never thought I would update people