when to send LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medical22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting a committee letter from my college's committee. My advisor recommends that I get other letters in addition to the committee letter. I may get about 2 more, but don't most med schools only want the committee letter. If I do send other letters, when am I supposed to send them? Along with my secondaries? Can I just ask the professors to send them before I send in my secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

can someone please help me??:(

Most schools will accept them either before or after you send in your secondary. A few don't want them before you send in your secondary. Just call the admissions office of each school if you are anxious about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi med22,

Most med schools do only want the committee letter. A few, such as Stanford, also require the full LORs ("These letters may be accompanied by an undergraduate school's premedical committee evaluation, but a committee evaluation alone is not advisable.").

Originally posted by medical22
I am getting a committee letter from my college's committee. My advisor recommends that I get other letters in addition to the committee letter. I may get about 2 more, but don't most med schools only want the committee letter. If I do send other letters, when am I supposed to send them? Along with my secondaries? Can I just ask the professors to send them before I send in my secondary?

Each school's secondary will tell you what they want in the way of LOR's. Just go by what they say they want. Some schools want only the committee letter, but others have quite specific requests i.e. 2 science, 1 non-science OR 1 bio, 1 pysics, 1 chem & 1 humanities. You can't really just decide on your own which letters to send to a specific school -- you have to give them what they ask for.

I think most schools require the committee letter (if you have one). In addition, I called most of the schools and they said that you can supplement it with a couple additional letters of rec.

Thanks everyone. If that's the case, then I will go ahead and ask the professors to send in the letters because who knows how long it will take until I receive all my secondaries which will tell me exactly what they want. I just hope that I later don't find out that the school only wants the committee letter and don't accept additional letters. I hope that they won't take it against me if I do send in additional letters earlier.