When to start looking for housing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

srmn2691

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted some input on when people began looking for housing when moving out of state for P.T. School. I was accepted at Shenandoah University which officially begins August 31, 2016. When should I start looking? I just don't want to either 1.) wait too long and end up having to rush or 2.) start too early and have to sign a lease that would waste money.

Any insight would help!
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say it depends on a few things. First, are you in an area that has other universities/do many students from Shenandoah live off campus/are there a lot of hospitals near the area ? If so, then you may need to start looking sooner because of that competition. Also, if you find an actual apartment complex instead of just renting a house or something then often times if they have someone leave before their lease is technically up they'll allow you to move in when you want to and not charge you for signing the lease in advance. Basically, the person who leaves the apartment before their lease is technically up might have to pay rent until you move in even if they're not living there (hopefully that makes sense?). I just recently signed a lease with my roommate for an apartment in Syracuse because our program starts June 1st and that's what we were able to do, we obviously had to pay the security deposit up front, but we don't have to pay for June until the week before we move in.

I'd maybe start by calling around to different places and find out how early they typically sign leases for August.

You can start looking right away, via online resources. Use a map and get acquainted with the area, read reviews of various apartment complexes, read the local news about the area.

If you find places you like, tell them when you want to move. If they don't have a unit that is going to come open at that time, thank them and move on. If you find a place now, you aren't obligated to start renting it now. Don't sign any lease that starts before you want it to. Landlords like to know in advance that they will have tenants as much as you like to know that you will have a place to live.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, which is better while in school: renting a house or an apartment?

Also, which is better while in school: renting a house or an apartment?
I think that would depend on the lease agreement and price. Some places have crazy requirements--like if they find a scuff on the wall you don't get your security deposit back. So that's stuff to look out for. Also, take a look at what types of things they include in the price, like are all utilities included or only some. Just make sure you do your research.