When to start MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc44ever

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the ideal time to start MCAT prep? I am guessing that studying the night before just like i did for my SATs wouldn't be that helpful. Let me mention that I want to score a 38+.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on when you finish 2 semesters of Bio, 2 semesters of physics, 2 semesters of Chem, and 2 semesters of Organic Chem. Most students find themselves preparing to take an exam in the summer after their sophomore year, which means they began studying around Summer break prior to sophomore year or Fall / Winter break of sophomore year. Hope this helps.

To get your 38+ you will definitely be studying 2-3 months minimum, not just an all nighter. Most people do it after they've taken all the pre-reqs.

Well it really depends on how you want to set up your study schedule. As demh23 stated you will definitely want to finish the prereqs that are tested in the MCAT. You can get a good idea of how others are setting up their schedules by searching around the forums here and looking at the 30+ mcat section and SN2ed's 3 month study plan up in the sticky section.

I'm not sure where you're in school but it's also worth pointing out that you will save yourself a lot of pain and studying if you master the materials in your prereqs.

Good luck!