When to Start Post-BaccCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustinSane

Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking this spring semester to study and take the GRE in July so I can start to apply to formal post-bacc programs next cycle.

I'm wondering when is a good time to start the Post-BaccCAS (central application) particularly the LOR. I know that its good to start early but can this be started too early?

Members don't see this ad.

Applications open mid-August and there's no harm in starting it immediately when it opens. There is no such thing as too early with rolling admissions!

Why not just take the courses on their own? To me it seems like it is way more expensive and colleges just trying to mooch off

Advantages of formal post-back program?

plus you have to take another exam like GRE and more application cycles etc

just trying to understand :). I am a non-trad who did post-bacc but I just took my own courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I’m actually now planning on just saving for a semester and doing a dyi post-bacc

Yes, I’m actually now planning on just saving for a semester and doing a dyi post-bacc

I did a DYI post-bacc as a non-traditional student and have no regrets. Saved a boatload versus having to sacrifice income from work due to less flexibility and that barely touches on the price tag of formal programs.

Yeah, I’m feeling much better about doing the D.Y.I route. Did you work while doing your post-bacc? Im hoping that I’ll be able to save enough to not need to work much once I start in the fall…

Yeah, I’m feeling much better about doing the D.Y.I route. Did you work while doing your post-bacc? Im hoping that I’ll be able to save enough to not need to work much once I start in the fall…
I did, which made it more challenging since I had to take the classes at night. That being said, I tried to leverage that to say I developed time management skills when it came to working two jobs and doing the evening pre-req class thing.

I might be too late to this but:

I did a DIY post-bacc and am now trying to move into an SMP. I would say biggest downside to the DIY route is that it's extremely difficult to source meaningful academic LOR's unless you're great about keeping connections with your professors/in a research lab. You also likely won't be able to source a committee letter doing it DIY and you wont have access to student services like advising.

I took classes at a state school and it was fairly stressful trying to get into high enrollment courses. My enrollment starts a week before classes begin and I spent a lot of my time begging professors to open a seat for me. Pro's is that it's much less expensive and I could take almost whatever classes I wanted, including some in the grad school.