When to stop attending class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MickyMyki

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. So I'll be going to a med school where all lectures are streamed online. I think I'll learn best in the comfort of my own home.

So, my question is: when should I stop attending class? Ideally, I'd like to spend at least a week meeting the rest of the students through class. But when will the academic gains of learning at home finally outweigh the social loss of missing class?

Members don't see this ad.

Really, only you can answer the question, because your learning style is unique to you.

Hi guys. So I'll be going to a med school where all lectures are streamed online. I think I'll learn best in the comfort of my own home.

So, my question is: when should I stop attending class? Ideally, I'd like to spend at least a week meeting the rest of the students through class. But when will the academic gains of learning at home finally outweigh the social loss of missing class?

Reactions: 2 users
Stop going to class when you can trust yourself to keep up with watching lectures and study on your own and know what you are doing. It took me about 2 weeks to feel comfortable with staying at home (after our first test). For you it might be a week or it could be a month. Go to class, make a few friends, figure out how much you need to study, then stop going when you feel like you don't need it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would show up for a few days and then do all your work at home. That's what 99% of your classmates will do anyway within the first few weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Right after the white coat ceremony.

When you realize that lecture isn't benefitting you at all, and you're better on your own, the stop. Maybe the first week or so to meet classmates and stuff, but then stop. Shocked at the number of people who attend lecture and either 1) fall asleep; or 2) stare blankly at the lecturer because they're going to quickly. Both cases, they go because they have been trained to attend class and feel "guilty" for not going. Apparently, some students seem to believe that it's more logical to waste your time in lecture that doesn't optimize your learning but removes the feeling of "guilt" than it is to see what it's like studying on your own or seeking our help for alternative, more efficient ways to learn, while meeting up with classmates afterwards.

But, lecture is definitely the place to socialize. Make some friends, attend social events, have fun. Host or arrange get-togethers, etc. Join clubs, sports, go to the gym, get a workout partner, whatever. You can avoid lecture and still be social. You can also just go to school and study somewhere else on your own, without going to lecture. That way you still see classmates around, but don't deal with class (unless, like you said, you really meant the 'comfort of your own home' versus the comfort of a starbucks, or the library.

My advice: use common sense. If you do better by not going to lecture....then for Christ's sake, stop going to lecture. Nothing'll happen- no apocalypse, no judgement, no professors crying or getting offended (well, some professors will voice their 'disappointment'...but you won't be there to hear it, so it's all good). The point is to learn the best way you can. Consider it premature/mickey mouse 'malpractice' to do any type of behavior that doesn't result in you performing your best.

You'll know when. Just be honest with yourself and start going back to class if you find yourself falling behind.

Start the year going to class and studying harder than you can imagine studying. See what your absolute max effort will buy you. That's really what you need to know.

I stayed in lecture for the first two weeks. Which was entirely too long.