When to Submit DO Applications? With or Without DO LoR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorProfessorPat

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I will be shadowing a DO in the next few weeks and want to make sure that the letter he writes for me is seen by adcoms along with the rest of my application. So the question is, does it make more sense to submit my application now, and run the risk of the letter not being seen, or waiting for a few weeks to submit my application, but ensuring that the letter is uploaded shortly thereafter? I know the full application will likely only be viewed after secondaries are submitted, but, seeing as how the LoR may very well take for or five weeks to write and upload, I'm worried that my application would be discarded if it isn't available by the time I turn secondaries in.

Members don't see this ad.

Just submit it after, either way you'd still be early for D.O.

Reactions: 1 user
I would think if a DO letter is required to complete your application then you would not be reviewed until it was submitted. But if not required and everything else is in then the file is up for review so they may or may not see it depending on where you are in their queue. I firmly believe that an applicant should have everything submitted at one time in case your file pops up for review. Schools get too many file to keep going back in and reviewing things piecemeal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied last year without a DO letter (couldn't get one because of distancing). One of the schools I had applied to had a hard requirement for it and let me know that my applicaiton would be put on hold until they receive it. I would agree with the other commentators and just have everything complete before you submit the primary as there is no rush to DO at this time.

Thank you all for your advice! I will wait until the letter is available to move forward with my primary.