When to submit rec letters...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MaryWrathers

Do most people submit rec letters to schools when they apply via AMCAS or after receiving a request to complete secondaries? Don't schools take the LORs into account while reviewing our AMCAS? Or, does this occur while they read our secondaries?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you wait until you receive a secondary from the school requesting LORs...

pirata said:
you wait until you receive a secondary from the school requesting LORs...

I'm new to this whole process. I became a premed this January, so I'm a bit ignorant of these things. Is this the process:

-take MCAT
-write personal statement
-create AMCAS account
-send transcripts and MCAT score report to AMCAS
-review your personal statement one last time
-submit AMCAS once AMCAS receives transcripts and score report
-request LORs and have letter writers mail 1 original copy to Interfolio or your UG school's service/department
-wait for secondaries
-complete secondaries on the schools' websites and mail LORs to schools that request secondaries using either Interfolio, your UG school, or yourself
-wait for interview request(s)

So, wouldn't be easier to use interfolio, because you can have interfolio send the LORs anywhere, anytime? In other words, can Interfolio be more trusted than your UG school's service/committee?

Members don't see this ad :)
MaryWrathers said:
I'm new to this whole process. I became a premed this January, so I'm a bit ignorant of these things. Is this the process:

-take MCAT
-write personal statement
-create AMCAS account
-send transcripts and MCAT score report to AMCAS
-review your personal statement one last time
-submit AMCAS once AMCAS receives transcripts and score report
-request LORs and have letter writers mail 1 original copy to Interfolio or your UG school's service/department
-wait for secondaries
-complete secondaries on the schools' websites and mail LORs to schools that request secondaries using either Interfolio, your UG school, or yourself
-wait for interview request(s)

So, wouldn't be easier to use interfolio, because you can have interfolio send the LORs anywhere, anytime? In other words, can Interfolio be more trusted than your UG school's service/committee?

I'd suggest moving the LOR requests at the beginning assuming this is in some kind of chronological order. Get them early (well not years early) since there will always be someone who forgets, or is delayed and thus you don't want to be worried if your letters are sent in on time.

Interfolio is fine if you do not have the option of a committee. Some or most schools prefer a committee letter over just a set of letters. This is sometimes the reasons why you should have your letters in early, since the committee letter is usually comprised of your LORs + an interview. Therefore getting an appointment for the interview may be impacted by the large amounts of applicants this time of year. I'd personally trust our committee more than interfolio though, since I know where they are physically on campus and I can hunt them down. I haven't heard of any problems with our pre-health committee, other than those facilitated by incompetance on the part of the applicant, not the actual committee (e.g., procrastinating to make an appointment for interview).

i agree with relentless. you need to request you LORs ASAP, as those usually take longer than you think to get in. Also, I would be writing my PS while I'm studying for the MCAT if at all possible...that way, once AMCAS opens (or your MCAT scores are in) you are ready to go. My PS took me about a month longer to write than I thought, and that pushed my AMCAS back a month too.