Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

When to take DAT?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Samin23, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Samin23

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am currently going into my second year of college (3rd semester). I plan on taking Organic Chemistry 1 this Fall and Organic 2 in the Spring. I have already completed Biology 1 and 2 as well as Chemistry 1 and 2. When should I take the DAT if I am currently on track to graduate in December 2017 and enter dental school in the summer of 2018? Also, how long do students usually take to prepare for the exam?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dentalgoals

Pre-Dental
    The best time to take the DAT would be the summer between your sophomore and junior year since you have organic chemistry fresh in your mind. The study time really depends on the individual, but most students including myself prepared about 2 to 3 months for the DAT.

4. cacajuate

5+ Year Member

Honestly, organic is the easiest section and can be memorized again. I would take it after I have taken a good bit of BIO courses. Biochem, A&P, micro, genetics, molecular/cell. That's the real section on DAT.

Dr.Payne likes this.
  5. Hammer Time

Take it as soon as possible. You don't need extra biology courses. Just read the biology ferialis notes. Take the summer to study for it.