When to take MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ultimakey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently a rising junior with a subpar GPA due to extenuating family circumstances (wasn’t aware receiving a W was a thing so I was only able to receive It for 1 class when the teacher sympathized). Here are my current GPAS:

Freshman 1: 3.65 (Had an incomplete in calc 1 and was scheduled to take the final at the end of my freshman year. Was unable to take It because of extenuating circumstances, so I settled for a B; A’s in gen chem/lab).

Freshman 2: 2.85 (Life circumstances, about 9.5 credits counted and a W in bio)

Sophomore 1: 3.3 (Continuation of life circumstances; 17.5 credits unfortunately)

Sophomore 2: 3.92 (10.5 credits of hard sciences and 4.5 in non-BCPM, A+ in orgo 2, A in orgo lab, A- in bio, A in a statistics course)

Cumulative GPA: approximately 3.45

I’m working very hard on GPA repair right now and would eventually like to join the PC before medical school so I’m left with a few options:

1. Finish in 4 years with whatever GPA I end up with and join the PC. In this situation, I’m unsure when to take the MCAT. I would be handling a full course load during every semester to be able to finish on time. I would then join the PC immediately after and most likely apply during the second year.

2. Take an extra semester. This would help me spread out classes, as well as take extra science courses to attempt to bump up my GPA. I would then join the PC immediately after and have to plan my application period. No idea when I’d take my MCAT. Main issue here is debt.

3. Take an extra year to give myself the maximum amount of GPA boost that I can. Obviously the main issue is debt. No idea when I’d take my MCAT, but I’d join the PC right after.

Members don't see this ad.

Take one extra semester to get your GPA up to about 3.6. Then work for another semester (preferably clinical work) to offset debt. Study while working and take MCAT. Then do PC.

Reactions: 1 user
Take one extra semester to get your GPA up to about 3.6. Then work for another semester (preferably clinical work) to offset debt. Study while working and take MCAT. Then do PC.
I think this might be the best option. However, debt is going to be a burden and I’ll start med school 1 year later.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should do the PC after the MCAT, then apply. Taking a year off is the norm now BTW

Is It fine if I don’t do non-volunteering/research at the same time as working?