When to take MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orvos

Official MS-0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two options and wanted to know SDN's collective opinion:

1. I can take the MCAT at the end of May, score probably an average score (27-28 or so) and be able to file all of AMCAS at the end of July.

2. I can finish my summer courses, take the MCAT either August 22nd or 26th, score probably significantly better (31-32 or so) and file all of AMCAS at the end of August.

Which is really better?

Members don't see this ad.

Neither, but the latter if all other considerations are SUPERB (and only superb). The latter is filing really late into the cycle but a 27-28 won't get you any looks from a lot, if not the majority, of the allopathic schools. If you're potential is to score only a 27 or 28 you may want to consider osteopathic medical schools. However, this consideration does not seem to be on your mind. You could always take a year off aswell.

Call it my personal bias, but do whatever it takes to NOT have a 27-28 MCAT score. I was a 27-R and I got no love from either of my state allopathic schools (can't even imagine what would've happened at OOS schools). Being late is better than being weak, but again that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
The later dates are quite late. If you're really sure that's how your scores are going to work out, I'd probably take a year off, or take the first MCAT and apply DO. From personal experience, applying after the August MCAT really sucks.