When to take step 2 so it is not included in initial app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pintsized

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I heard that there is a time period when you can take your step 2 that is late enough so that it is not included in your initial residency application, but early enough so that if you do well, you can send it in afterwards in time for consideration before they ranklist you. I’ve heard that it is around October or November. Does anyone have a more exact time span?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally speaking, if in your initial application you tell it to release your USMLE scores, it will do that right away with the other parts of the app; the programs get it when they download your app. So technically, it depends on how quickly you submit your app to programs.

Realistically, if you take it in October, you should be safe. Just make sure to choose the option to MANUALLY release step 2 scores just in case you don't do well.

So any tips on strategy for releasing Step 2 scores? Let's say you rock step 1. I'd imagine that it'd be nice to NOT release Step 2 scores so that, in case you do worse, they'd only have your excellent step 1 scores to go on. Whereas if you do poorly on step 1, you'd want to release the step 2 scores to compensate.

However, does it look bad if you do well on step 1 and then take step 2 late so the score isn't released? Do the RDs think you have no confidence in your step 2 ability, and thus down-rank you accordingly?

Thanks! :luck:

Smurfette said:
Generally speaking, if in your initial application you tell it to release your USMLE scores, it will do that right away with the other parts of the app; the programs get it when they download your app. So technically, it depends on how quickly you submit your app to programs.

Realistically, if you take it in October, you should be safe. Just make sure to choose the option to MANUALLY release step 2 scores just in case you don't do well.

So october should be okay? What if the program decides to download my app later? Or would that not happen?

Maybe i'm not understanding you correctly...
Do they only check for your scores when you initially submit your app?
For that matter, when are apps due!?

Members don't see this ad :)
pintsized said:
So october should be okay? What if the program decides to download my app later? Or would that not happen?

Maybe i'm not understanding you correctly...
Do they only check for your scores when you initially submit your app?
For that matter, when are apps due!?

it depends, the programs are able to start downloading our stuff on Sept 1. I think there are some programs that will not even look at anyones stuff till november 1 when the deans letters are sent.look on Frieda, each program has their own deadlines but its better to get your stuff in early because every program will get hundreds of apps.
For me im taking step 2 in august. im studying for 2 months and getting it over with. i did well on step 1 and there is no reason that i will not do well on step 2. I think that most students who do well the first time will do the same or better next time.No worries.

Ruban said:
However, does it look bad if you do well on step 1 and then take step 2 late so the score isn't released? Do the RDs think you have no confidence in your step 2 ability, and thus down-rank you accordingly?

Not at all. The RD's understand the game just as well as we do. If you've done well on Step 1, then they assume you can take standardized tests, and as long as your clinical grades are good, a high Step 2 score wouldn't add much to your application. I took Step 2 at the end of February so it had no impact on interveiws or the match. I didn't get asked about Step 2 even once in an interview. One warning I would give is that it may vary from speicalty to specialty, so it would probably help to get some advice from someone in your chosen field.

if you take step 2 at the end of august, submit ERAS in september with the appropriate box checked (to not release new scores automatically--whatever it's called), score will come back around end of september (takes about 1 month, right?). so, you're safe, no? am I wrong? I hope not, b/c this is what i have planned.

As for taking it in Oct or nov, I considered it, but decided against, b/c it seems a little late (scores coming back in Nov or Dec, seems a little late to do any good, if you rock)

To the OP--took step 2 last October and released it in November and all of the residency programs had it available to them during my interviews (first one was Nov 20th).

Chica, I think your plan will be okay as long as you submit your application EARLY (i think sept 1st was "opening day" for submitting ERAS apps last year).

Good luck everyone.

This might be a dumb question but...
Can you choose not to release your Step 2 score even if it is already in when you submit your ERAS application? In other words, when you take step 2 CK, can you check an option somewhere to not release your score automatically? Or is there an option like that on the residency application for scores that are already available?

Someone had told me there was an option like this at some point, but I have not heard anything like that recently. I'm not really sure what the pros/cons would be either - it just seems like it would be unfortunate if a bad step 2 score hurt your application, but also good to take it close to the end of third year rotations.

Thank you!

Smurfette said:

in reality you've got 2 options:

1, take it in october as said above (but really, if you do it this way, it doesn't matter WHEN you take it), but manually release your scores to programs after you get your step 2 # back and your happy with it. Big plus here is obviously ability to be selective about your scores, and esp. related to step 2. This option is often done for those with a so-so step 1 hoping to boost their app by their step 2.

2, automatically release your scores, and just take step 2 sometime towards the end of January -- it takes 2-4 weeks to return, and most programs have to turn in their Rank Order List by Feb 15 or so -- although most often do so a bit earlier. You'll be safe that way. A big plus about doing this way is that you don't really have to worry about getting a killer score on step 2 since you're taking it so late - you can just study, stressfree for a few weeks, and then Emeril-esq BAM, it's done, just like that. Also, some people say that it looks bad to programs when they see that you're "manually" releasing scores. They may wonder if you're intending to hide something, since a good majority of app's have their's released automatically. Again, if you're step 1 is a bit above so-so (this will be determined by your own opinion obviously, ALONG with speciality-related data/#'s about step scores), i'd highly recommend this option.