When to take step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PostMed2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the best time to take step 2 if you have a high step 1 score? It is better to wait as much as possible right? I have heard that it can only hurt you.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the specialty you want to go into. Some specialties want to see it more than others. But if you've been doing well on your shelf exams, you might as well just take it early because you'll probably kill it anyway.

I want to match gen surg, haha @ ur name

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to do gen surg, then you should take Step 2 CK before submitting your ERAS app. I took it in July but it worked out that way because of COVID.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with @futurgensurg

I’m also applying surgery right now and I have noticed my friends that started the season without a Step 2 had a much slower start to their interview season. My gestalt is the surgery programs care about having a completed app

Reactions: 2 users
Y’all think this is the case even you have a solid app otherwise?
Step 1: 260+
Top 10 USMD
6 pubs
Solid LORs
I ask because it would be a great hassle to take it early. I would like to delay until fall 2021 if I can. I think the rest of my app would be enough to land a few interviews. Correct me if I’m wrong

Y’all think this is the case even you have a solid app otherwise?
Step 1: 260+
Top 10 USMD
6 pubs
Solid LORs
I ask because it would be a great hassle to take it early. I would like to delay until fall 2021 if I can. I think the rest of my app would be enough to land a few interviews. Correct me if I’m wrong
You’ll definitely get interviews, but from the Reddit sheet it seems even the top applicants with Step 2 are doing better than the ones without. That could just be bias though.

Your app is excellent and I don’t think you absolutely need to take it early, but I suspect programs have already begun to look at it more in preparation of P/F Step 1. It will only help you to have it early, unless you like tank it or something.

When is the best time to take step 2 if you have a high step 1 score? It is better to wait as much as possible right? I have heard that it can only hurt you.
I know this may not be the answer you're looking for now that you're in interview mode and are stressed out about that but I think for most fields it matters. If anything taking Step 2 CK on time was more doable this year given limited time on rotations, the delay in ERAS certification in a month, and all virtual interviews meaning less time worrying about travel.

I was in IM and while I don't know for sure because I am not an adcom, I did not get many interviews at great places many of my friends got when the main difference was they had CK and I did not. To further compound that I was asked about it on interviews and asked to submit CK before rank order deadlines in communications from program directors. I matched well but I suspect it hurt me.

I appreciate the honesty. What’s should be my step 2 goal be given my step 1 = 261? Would I be okay with a 250? I just have limited time and can’t spend a month studying for it.

I appreciate the honesty. What’s should be my step 2 goal be given my step 1 = 261? Would I be okay with a 250? I just have limited time and can’t spend a month studying for it.

Absolutely fine!

And august is the latest can take it so it still shows up?

And august is the latest can take it so it still shows up?
That is correct. Assuming next year's applications can be submitted starting Sept. 15, you should aim to take Step 2 by early August since it takes about a month for scores to come back.

Thank you everyone for your input. I am meeting with the program director for gen surg at my school and I will see what he says. If anyone else has any additional thoughts please feel free to add them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Update I spoke with my PD @top 5 survey program. No need to take step 2 due to excellent step 1. There will be no question In The program’s mind that I will do well on the ABSITE (big reason to take step 2). Now it’s all up to other factors in the application.

With a high Step 1, I highly doubt you'll be screened out by not having a CK. Programs generally need CK before ranking though - that's nothing new.

Well looks like my advice was wrong. All the best OP! Our Step 1 scores differ by single digits or maybe low teens and it hurt me compared to peers, but I wasn't from a top school and was applying to a different field. I am glad that you are taking that surgery PDs advice as you are going to because they're the only ones with the #s and knows how these filters actually work.

Honestly, I don't know how the Program Director Mode for ERAS allows you to filter things and how not having Step 2 gets treated. There are a lot of stupid things that get applicants screened out though that I've heard anecdotally (ex. applying to a program a second time, not having X amount of research). Good recruiters can catch them when they comb through the applicants filtered out but sometimes top places don't even need good recruiters to comb through because the applicants who made it past the first screen were more than enough.

Another update just for others to have this information. After a long internal debate I think I will take step 2 before applying just to be safe. Also I think it’s important if you want to apply I6 as well.

Just make sure you study hard and take it seriously. Having a low Step 2 will dilute your Step 1.

I was told anything above 245 would be good enough. Your thoughts?

Following this. DO student. Did very well on Step 1 (260+) and unsure what my Step 2 target range should be. Want to do well obviously but don't think I have it in me to match the Step 1 score (kind of burnt out and just trying to survive rotations and find a specialty I like)

I was told anything above 245 would be good enough. Your thoughts?

Generally what I hear people say is your Step 2 should be at least as good as your Step 1. Obviously this doesn't always apply (imagine if you got a 280 on Step 1...) but it's a good rule of thumb. I suppose a better way of looking at it would be to aim for the same percentile rank and get whatever score that corresponds to.

Where is having an average score in this?
In your case it’s tough because you did so well on Step 1. After going through the cycle this year I have been generally telling everyone to have Step 2 in before ERAS goes out.

because the score ranges are much higher on step 2, you should try to match your score (not percentile) to pass the eye test.

I don't think a 240+ step 1 needs to take a step 2 before ERAS; no major Gen surgery programs I know require it. From previous seasons and my own experience, it didn't seem to hinder at all.

If it works out it works out with regards to scheduling but don't stress too much.

260 on step 2 is like an 82nd percentile. That should be doable. I moved around my schedule so I will have 3 months to both do a sub I and take step 2. I think I will have enough time.
@Banco I agree if I was gen surg only I think I wouldn’t take it, but I want to try for I6 so I think having it will help me. 80% of I6 applicants have a step 2 according to current applicant.

• Love
260 on step 2 is like an 82nd percentile. That should be doable. I moved around my schedule so I will have 3 months to both do a sub I and take step 2. I think I will have enough time.
@Banco I agree if I was gen surg only I think I wouldn’t take it, but I want to try for I6 so I think having it will help me. 80% of I6 applicants have a step 2 according to current applicant.
Glad you could rearrange your schedule!!